Do less factions lower the population even more?

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

BigDuke66

Do less factions lower the population even more?

Post by BigDuke66 »

As obese pigeon advised I make this thread because it seems an interesting point to discuss.
So, do less factions lower the population even more?
Personally I wouldn't play if Steiner was inactive, what do others think?

marshall1234

Re: Do less factions lower the population even more?

Post by marshall1234 »

BigDuke66 wrote:As obese pigeon advised I make this thread because it seems an interesting point to discuss.
So, do less factions lower the population even more?
Personally I wouldn't play if Steiner was inactive, what do others think?
Last cycle was the Andurien crisis and it was good as our members went. This cycle is still kind of new, so have to give it time.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon »

i cant speak for others, but i dont care too much which faction im in. In fact, for myself the ideal faction is probably mercenary so i can fight everyone. Or the faction with a greater proportion of weak players

Saint

Post by Saint »

I think we had good participation last cycle relatively speaking. It petered out towards the end as it always does. I think the low numbers this cycle were in part due to the extensive beta before the cycle started. Having more factions might increase your chances of finding a game but do we really have a player base that can support a full 6 factions?
it ain't no taint to be the Saint

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark »

Also, factor in the "summer break". In the United States that doesn't mean much. But folks in other countries get a lot more vacation time than we do, so people are probably just with family, friends, or elsewhere. :) Usually picks up as we head into Fall and Winter.

TaskForce58

Post by TaskForce58 »

Im another one of those LCAF/Steiner only guys, when im active that is

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre »

The real challenge with Grand Campaigns right now are the very small team size due to the low server pop. The elite team with 3 or 4 players becomes a real possibility, indeed most cycles have that happen.

4 looks to be too many now. My suggestion for next cycle will be 3. One can look at it that if we have 80 players (assuming all are active which isn't true) and are evenly distributed (which also isn't true but for sake of argument bear with me) Each team has 13-14 players. This means they have 65 potential opponents. The problem is we don't see that and time zone differences etc, cause players to gravitate to a few factions. If we reduce the factions to 2 or 3 we see between 40 and 52 opponents, fewer opponents but those opponents are going to be in bigger teams. This concentrates activity. Many factions spreads that activity out.

My other thought would be an unending cycle. Do the Grand Campaign but give no end and effectively no set victory conditions. Just play until it's obvious one side has won, then have the Council call it and reset it.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark »

Nastyogre wrote:The real challenge with Grand Campaigns right now are the very small team size due to the low server pop. The elite team with 3 or 4 players becomes a real possibility, indeed most cycles have that happen.

4 looks to be too many now. My suggestion for next cycle will be 3. One can look at it that if we have 80 players (assuming all are active which isn't true) and are evenly distributed (which also isn't true but for sake of argument bear with me) Each team has 13-14 players. This means they have 65 potential opponents. The problem is we don't see that and time zone differences etc, cause players to gravitate to a few factions. If we reduce the factions to 2 or 3 we see between 40 and 52 opponents, fewer opponents but those opponents are going to be in bigger teams. This concentrates activity. Many factions spreads that activity out.

My other thought would be an unending cycle. Do the Grand Campaign but give no end and effectively no set victory conditions. Just play until it's obvious one side has won, then have the Council call it and reset it.
Unfortunately, people drift off VERY quickly when that's done. When a side is losing, people just never log on again until there's a new cycle. I don't know the psychology behind it, but that's been a universal truth.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre »

Oh I know. That just makes its a fluid environment.

Jutsu

Post by Jutsu »

I'd be interested in seeing data compared on the number of completed games. I think the dispersion of players by activity level is by far the determining factor, even greater than skill level (possibly to a negative degree where skill may be a positive). If you have the majority of active players in one house and some sporadic players in another it has to have an impact on the number of available games.