Reasonable amount of time before combat begins

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

codesmith55

Reasonable amount of time before combat begins

Post by codesmith55 »

What is a reasonable amount of time that a player is allowed to avoid combat? I had a game(city) where my opponent said he wanted to attack from a different angle. 5 rounds in(Hour and 15 minutes) we fire shots from 1 unit each. He proceeds to withdraw those units and go around. To get to the next street juncture would have been 4 rounds at running speeds. The game will have now totaled 2 hours before actual combat begins, is this a reasonable expectation?

Lando

Re: Reasonable amount of time before combat begins

Post by Lando »

It depends on the situation.

I had an opponent who didn't fight at all, and a Mod said it is o.k. to do so.

There is no written rule to it, call in a Mod, and he will judge the situation.

Steven Heck

Post by Steven Heck »

I always make sure I got at least 2 hours to play.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork »

In general, I would say no it's not reasonable. But that is in a vacuum. If the right explanation was offered, I may accept it.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre »

Except a significant amount of that time was trying to get the game to launch correctly.
(Three attempts with my host, once was my host issue, one other were issues with the map not loading, one java crash- which happens to just about everybody occasionally) We were also assigned to the same side by the ded twice. He just isn't being honest here.

Once play began I proceeded directly toward my opponent for two to three rounds. Saw a unit on my right flank, another to the right front through seismic, and the info that my opponent was knocking down buildings (in a concrete fields map) that made it clear I was walking into a kill zone. I turned from my southeast progress and headed north, intending to head northeast. It takes a bit to safely turn with a Stalker. They aren't exactly nimble and running on concrete is dicey.

Once play began, turns are not fast with artillery (this was a Drop assault)

Codesmith is rather disingenuous with his question here. We had game loading issues that persisted from my host to the ded we decided upon (likely his PC or connection) Much of his "Two hours to begin combat in earnest" is disregarding the time it took to get the game going. (Note my host works just fine, played two games yesterday, both hosted with no issues.) He complained about using a host as soon as he couldn't get in right away and I realized I needed to adjust my forwarding, immediately requested we use a ded, I agreed after he was clearly frustrated though the ongoing issues with the host were almost certainly on his end as he had map issues once the game was on the ded as well. My issues amounted to a quick fix to the forward and a full blown client crash. Each took about five minutes to resolve.

When he complained I wasn't proceeding towards him (my force was 2 heavies- Crusader, Marauder, 1 Medium- Shadow Hawk, 1 Assault) No I didn't run and turn on pavement. No I didn't run each turn in a headlong rush. What he didn't like was that I would not grant surrender for his impatience. I'm not required to. He gave his position and tactic away. (camp and create killzone) He wanted me to advance into his camp & ambush (though his force was far more mobile than mine) I forced him to eject units to cause the victory conditions. Nice? No. Legal per the rules of this server. as I understand it, yes. He complained he was no longer in "hiding" but it still required my forces to pass through a narrow defile to a prepared killzone to be ambushed by his entire force. (including several stands of infantry)

That game was Saturday. When he logged on Sunday, he wanted to continue the argument. Apparently, he was asking this question of me, though I am not qualified to rule on what is acceptable or not. Rather than continue the argument, I told him to go complain to somebody else, and muted him so we didn't argue further.

He also doesn't mention his army was illegal, which I didn't realize until reviewing the log. Hunter (ammo) light tank. Partisan Tank (assault class tank), PHX-K (medium), WVR (Medium), Longbow-7Q While it conformed to the BV limits because we were about 5600 Bv, he did not include a heavy unit, thus violating the stair step rule.

I can't recall anybody accusing me of refusing to engage. Urban games take extra time. They often entail repositioning and loss of contact for some rounds. If codesmith (or Talpos, his handle doesn't seem to match his forum name) wants to file a complaint, he is welcome to. If I am wrong, I will take my lumps. I wear my big Ogre pants most days.

So it was neither two hours to engage and he contributed significantly to combat not beginning in earnest (both technical and tactical)

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork »

See? In a vacuum, things look different than they do in the light.

Codesmith55, please read the rules. You are expected to know them.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Mock26

Post by Mock26 »

If I do not have the luxury of being able to spend several hours on a game I will often request Simultaneous Fire and Physical if it is an urban setting. I find that this can greatly speed up a game, especially when you have to cycle through all the 'Mechs standing next to buildings during the physical attack phase.