Arranging games and going active

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Zilla

Arranging games and going active

Post by Zilla » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Folks,
If you are arranging a game, may I suggest not going active until you've agreed on a BV and agreed on rolling?
A bit of an unfortunate incident happened today and I'd like to avoid it in the future.
I was arranging with someone, by way of having posted a BV, they said they'd try to match.
I was active at the time, farming like a boss.

Went afk for a minute, came back and saw someone from that faction (there were 4 players in that faction online, none of whom were in a game at the time) go active.

I attacked, not knowing who it was.

Player was unhappy because I didn't roll first. (It was the player I had been tentatively arranging with. I had no way of knowing this.)
We hadn't agreed to roll. We hadn't agreed on a planet.

I can't understand why going active before agreeing on rolling or anything is grounds to be unhappy.
I apologized anyway.

So, to avoid unpleasantries, I suggest not going active if you are matching a BV until you've agreed all the details, and it is best to announce you are going active.

Thanks,
-Zilla

Severik

Re: Arranging games and going active

Post by Severik » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm

ive had it where I seen 2 ppl arrange game seen that faction go active, decided to be nice let the arrange game happen then I get attack cause it was not any of the 2 ppl that were arranging a game. now I wanted a game but sitting active as long as i was and not getting to pick the planet tick me off. So if it goes active and i am sitting their i will attack

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Arranging all aspects of a game are a good idea, before you go active.

When I was a faction leader, I advised anybody who was arranging a game to negotiate everything. BV, planet, attacker. If a player doesn't want to do that, well then, don't play the game. People seem to think that you have to accept that the attacker gets to pick the planet, hogwash. You can negotiate it. Heck, I've negotiated the army make up. "You aren't bringing 12 units 3 of which are Vtols are you?" It's a negotiated game. Negotiate anything you like.

Remember if you go active, you accept the chance that you might be blinded. The player that attacks you is not being a jerk if they enforce their right to the game, you are asking a favor that they are not obligated to grant you. Go active on an arranged game and if you hadn't arranged that, all you did was announce your BV and go active. Whoops! Probably going to be attacked.

That said, player agreements (that's all this is) are not policed or enforced by the staff. Which says something about arranged games and their terms. You could not hold up your end of the bargain and by the letter of the law, you haven't broken a rule. Except it's not respectful of your opponent to lie, so it probably violates the manifesto. (Not staff, they decide if it does, not this stinky, giant humanoid cannibal) I would hold up my end of the bargain, I don't think I want to play that game of deciding if the staff liked me lying to my opponents on arranged games. Violating the "Don't be a Jerk" rule is a bad thing. That banhammer smarts.

So I would suggest playing nice when you arrange. Apologizing was probably a good idea.

BarukKhazad
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by BarukKhazad » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:27 pm

I agree with all of the Ogre's points including that that the Manifesto is what you should consider when you are arranging. See items 4 and 5 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=106.

Having played with Zilla quite a bit, I am sure he wasn't try to pull a fast one.

Klingon

Post by Klingon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Pretty much what the ogre said.

Couple of points to emphasize:

1: Arranged games are perfectly legal, but they do not enjoy any preference over blinded games. Both are valid. And as NO pointed out, staff does not enforce player agreements, but if you develop a history of using this to your other players' detriment, it will not go well for you. We have this thing about "you can't rules-lawyer your way into getting over on your fellow players"; it's where you can't violate the letter *OR* the spirit of the rule, and rules lawyers are usually all about honoring the letter, while violating the spirit. The easy way here is to remember that there is another player on the other end also playing a game.

2: When you get attacked, you have three minutes to accept an attack before you suffer the leech penalty. If everything is figured out, that's easy to do. You get the blind pop up, wait a few seconds, you get the arranged popup, just accept the one you want, and you're good. As long as you accept an attack by the time the three minutes from the first attack is up, you're safe from the leech penalty. You can do it, it's done all the time.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

Mock26

Post by Mock26 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 pm

I would politely suggest that if you are active and arranging a game that you might want to consider leaving the front line until all the details are arranged. This will help to reduce the chance of such misunderstandings.