Defection Penalty - what i think, you?

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Aunodin

Re: Defection Penalty - what i think, you?

Post by Aunodin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:22 am

Nastyogre wrote:Unenrolling was banned because of gross abuse by the best players. It's not to punish the bad players. It's to prevent other players from screwing their own team or others. Players have even defected or unenrolled and joined new factions to throw games. Of course unenrolling is banned.

Defection after the penalty comes back will solve the problem of a hangar full of junk. It will goto the faction bays and the Black Market. You will have a nice fresh hangar with 5 or 6 units to rebuild with. Sounds like an opportunity to me. Then again, it's entirely unnecessary. Just play. It's just a game.

The vote is now 5-0. It's all a matter of the %'s. Only the Fed Suns is in a position to really complain, they don't have a representative. If you are in any other faction, ask your Council Member to explain.
Then I shall complain for the sake of complaining. This is totally unfair, I should be able to go on a inner sphere tour to all of the factions and see their inner workings. /s

Anyways I actually have a question on the defection penalty, will this affect people who decide to defect from periphery into one of the inner sphere houses or defecting to the periphery if they wish to stop having an impact on the campaign and wish to play for fun? I am not planning on doing so but I know we have some people in periphery who have done just this

Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator

Post by Bloodknight » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm

Only the Fed Suns is in a position to really complain, they don't have a representative.
Since that faction couldn't be arsed to elect one, I'd say that's entirely on them.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:29 pm

Bloodknight wrote:
Only the Fed Suns is in a position to really complain, they don't have a representative.
Since that faction couldn't be arsed to elect one, I'd say that's entirely on them.
Though the faction now has rather different active membership than when the elections were held. Many new players join the FS due to the lore and fluff and those players are currently unrepresented. We do consider their position when we talk on the Co6 however. So they aren't entirely unrepresented. Frankly, I'd take time out to listen to any player but doubly from the Fed Suns precisely because they don't have a Council member. (That and I was the First Prince for years)

Aunodin, Maelstorm etc. Nothing about the defection penalty precludes asking to be defected by the staff. With a good reason, it's not going to be a big deal. It's pretty amazing what a polite and reasonable request does. It would shut down the "bad" defectors too. Can't go raiding a faction's bays when a mod had to defect you. Well, you could, then face the Executioner's Axe.
(I think we need a contest for a mech called that, we all submit for it and Tuco decides the winner. Or just Tuco could design his totem mech. Special power: Command Line Nukes)

Here's the "secret." Don't like any of this? Run for Faction Leader! You will be on the C06. I am not running again, I won't have the time. At least 2 other members aren't running again as well. So of the 6 spots on the Council there are 4 open seats and the 2 incumbents still have to win their elections again. A new Chairman will have to be elected by the Council. This can ALL change.
You will have to do the job and move beyond your own personal concerns and think about what is best for your faction and more importantly, the server as a whole. It's not easy. I understand now what drives the staff bat poop crazy about trying to balance everything. Tack on being a good faction leader and Co6 member requires you to be present and active. Absentee leaders are worse than no leader at all. So good luck. I will find it very interesting to watch while I'm out of the country for six weeks. (that's why I cannot serve again)

maelstorm

Post by maelstorm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Bloodknight wrote:
the best qualified person in the faction (and spends the most time online) is disqualified because he's an admin (baruk) one of 2 others is probably going to do it. I don't want to do it because i am not on much actively as of late. there will be one soon.

Aunodin

Post by Aunodin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:40 pm

maelstorm wrote:
Bloodknight wrote:
the best qualified person in the faction (and spends the most time online) is disqualified because he's an admin (baruk) one of 2 others is probably going to do it. I don't want to do it because i am not on much actively as of late. there will be one soon.
Honestly I think cloudy and Baruk are the two major vets in the fed suns right now. I have not seen cloudy on for awhile although he is the first prince at this time. I am worried that we won't get a rep this time around to be honest.

I am fine though with being called the newbie faction because of the books and fluff. Everyone is just jelly because our boots have spurs on them and yours don't

Anyways thanks for the answer then Ogre. Was not sure about the faction transfer via staff was an option.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Aunodin wrote: Honestly I think cloudy and Baruk are the two major vets in the fed suns right now. I have not seen cloudy on for awhile although he is the first prince at this time. I am worried that we won't get a rep this time around to be honest.

I am fine though with being called the newbie faction because of the books and fluff. Everyone is just jelly because our boots have spurs on them and yours don't

Anyways thanks for the answer then Ogre. Was not sure about the faction transfer via staff was an option.
You are welcome. You weren't around to know I was a die hard Fed Rat for years, quite literally. Your forum is still probably clogged with my posts. :-) Fed Suns became my baby and it pained me to see no leader emerge. Then again 75% of the Fed Suns veterans went to other factions. I never intended to lead the Cap Con, but I was coerced to do so and I wanted to be on the first Co6.

The most important characteristic for a Faction Leader is to care about the team. If you care, you will be present. You will be involved even if you aren't online every waking hour (and you shouldn't be, that's for mods :wink: ) Set an example, hold high standards of behavior and sportsmanship. Encourage your team to support each other. It all comes from caring. You won't do the rest if you only care about yourself or the campaign map. It does take some time, so you have to commit to that. If you have the time Aunodin, you do seem to care. Don't disqualify yourself just because you are new.

A tiny bit of my story.
I was banned for a month for mouthing off to Tuco and Spork several years ago. I was nothing and nobody, I wasn't even a good player. Shortly thereafter the existing Fed Suns leadership evaporated. I wasn't elected the first time I sat as First Prince, I was appointed there wasn't anybody else who would even put themselves up to lead. I knew nothing about what I needed to do. All I knew was that I cared about the team. Fed Suns were THE doormats at the time, by far. Things changed because somebody cared. (not just me, we had a strong group of active players, many of whom were poor players but really good teammates) We competed and got better and never gave up. We won the last cycle. So, just because you are new, or not an experienced leader, doesn't mean you cannot stand as a Faction Leader here. Don't sell yourself short.

-minor formatting edit to make the quote work properly. -Klingon

Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator

Post by Bloodknight » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:29 pm

So, just because you are new, or not an experienced leader, doesn't mean you cannot stand as a Faction Leader here. Don't sell yourself short.
I agree with this, since I led the Capellan Confederation for a few cycles before I got appointed to mod status. You don't have to be a great player, I pretty much sucked when I got the post, and I was pretty green, too (see what I did there...), I think I got elected after 6 months on the server or so.. What you need is the will to bring your faction forward, some time to be there when the other guys need you, and maybe some strategic understanding helps, too (the faction leader is mostly a strategic advisor and maintains the Message of the Day, and nowadays he sits on the council, too. You don't have to be an ace to sit on the council. That also means that you're not required to elect an ace, tbh I think that that often wouldn't be the best choice anyway. You need to be there for all the guys in your house.)