please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them?

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Crucis lancers
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 pm

please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them?

Post by Crucis lancers » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:44 am

lately getting pissed because i sit active for hours often with no games with alot of people online. right now im writing this the following happened to me .

You have arrived on the front lines!
Intelligence reports the following attack options:
Army 0:
Army 1:
Army 2:
Army 3:
Army 4:
Retrieving Operation Data Please Wait..
[!] A Lyran Commonwealth unit is headed to the front lines. You may attack it with Army 0. [Report]
You are on your way to Callisto V (Ground Incursion, -30flu).
[05:27] notenome [CC]: going active for justin
[!] A Capellan Confederation unit is headed to the front lines. You may attack it with Army 0. [Report]
Intel Report: It appears that our forces have slightly more experience than the enemy. Planet Name: Callisto V Terrain Type: Radioactive Waste (none) Visibility is : 1800 meters
#7 crucis Lancers[DC] is attempting a Ground Incursion on Callisto V (Units: 4 Meks, 1 Inf / BV: 3105). Justin Tyme[LC] is defending (Units: 4 Meks, 1 Vees, 1 Inf / BV: 3074)
[05:28] notenome [CC]: ???
[05:28] juice14 [LC]: isn't there an arranged?
[05:28] notenome [CC]: yeah
[05:28] notenome [CC]: wth
[05:28] juice14 [LC]: Justin Tyme, you should wait till you see notenome's attack
[05:29] Justin Tyme [LC]: Ok sorry
[05:29] juice14 [LC]: and guys, better to announce b4 active
[05:29] crucis Lancers [DC]: if rules are not changed i dont have to honor ur arranged game
[05:29] notenome [CC]: dont think he attacked was the one attacking
[05:29] juice14 [LC]: so you don't get blinded
[05:29] notenome [CC]: crucis
Retrieving Operation Data Please Wait..
[05:29] notenome [CC]: Ive just spent half an hour talking justin through this
[05:29] juice14 [LC]: for someone just out of SOL don't you think you might want to be kind
[05:30] juice14 [LC]: ?
[05:30] crucis Lancers [DC]: so im active waiting for someone and its my fault?
[05:30] notenome [CC]: no reason to be unpleasant man
[05:30] juice14 [LC]: no one said its your fault
[05:30] notenome [CC]: theres plenty of people online

[05:30] crucis Lancers [DC]: ....
Informing all other participants of your wish to cancel the operation.
Cancelling Operation Ground Incursion
Attack #7 was cancelled by Justin Tyme (+30flu).
[!] A Lyran Commonwealth unit halted combat operations and returned to its post. You may attack it with Army 0. [Report]
[05:31] crucis Lancers [DC]: droping a complaint
[*] You've left active duty and are now in reserve.
[05:31] juice14 [LC]: just one of those things
[05:32] crucis Lancers [DC]: no
[05:32] crucis Lancers [DC]: its not fair
[05:32] Sadistic [DC]: going active means you are ready for a fight...any fight. the rules expressly point out that you don't have to respect arranged games
[05:32] Justin Tyme [LC]: Sorry I had no idea ..
[05:33] crucis Lancers [DC]: im not blaming u justin tyme
[05:34] juice14 [LC]: BarukKhazad
[05:35] BarukKhazad [FS]: hrrm
[05:36] Sadistic [DC]: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3538
[05:36] Sadistic [DC]: Read #5
[05:37] juice14 [LC]: Not everything is covered by rules, in this case its a new player learning the ropes still



im getting abit tired of this kind of attitude isnt the first time isnt the second . people usualy trying to arrange more and more games because i think they afraid of players , nobody who knows me can say im a seal clubber in this case the lyran dude i attacked is, the capellan isnt a seal too . and over the years i always tried to make my games with begginers fun and trying to help, like obese pigeon barukhazad jackal calibra and many others who trashed me but aswell helped me to get better and enjoy the game

what realy piss me off is the fact according to server rules i was right but i got jumped by people who did not like i actualy did something isnt agaisnt rules .

so im asking the staff to either if possible disable arranged games or just enforce them by AFR because i think is realy pissing more players who actualy sit active looking for a game for extended periods of time just to this kind of behaviour happens

User avatar
Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:39 am

I am not sure how the staff could stop arranged games. The rules are pretty clear. Players going active may be blinded. If you are, be ready to play that game.

The best way to end the arrangements, blind people. State very calmly and plainly you waited for a game and you will take it. Period. No need to be upset. If the players who were blinded complain, I would bet the staff will educate them.

This said, what is my policy? New players get one, and only one, pass from me. If they plead ignorance, I educate them and make it clear next time I will enforce my right to the game.

If the opponent I blinded isn't brand new, I might as a courtesy, not attack. Though I've been blinded because I played nice. Most vets (strong or weak) should expect to be blinded and never, ever, complain about being blinded.

This comes up every cycle once or twice. The solution is always the same. Educate and enforce. The vets of the server have a duty to educate new players to their faction. Especially on blinds.

Educate and enforce. Nicely, firmly, calmly.

Deadweight
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Deadweight » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:59 am

Yeah it sucks when you can't find a game. We've all been there, but come on man. You are what... 1670+ ELO or something and you're suggesting that the unpaid server staff should spend more of their free time making sure that you can more easily club a seal?

Good luck with that.

For what it's worth, I tend to think that most arranged games aren't done so to avoid certain players (that's what NP is for), but rather just because two players have been chatting and want to play each other.

Crucis lancers
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Crucis lancers » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:35 am

Deadweight wrote:Yeah it sucks when you can't find a game. We've all been there, but come on man. You are what... 1670+ ELO or something and you're suggesting that the unpaid server staff should spend more of their free time making sure that you can more easily club a seal?

Good luck with that.

For what it's worth, I tend to think that most arranged games aren't done so to avoid certain players (that's what NP is for), but rather just because two players have been chatting and want to play each other.
are you saying because i got 1670 elo i got no right to be active and get games? my proposal was made to clarify a problem than as pointed by nastyogre keeps happening .

i dont know what think the staff or what kind of power they have but the situation still there . i tried to make this polite and with good manner thats why i canclled the game when with server staff rules i could had carried on with the game .

if u have a trouble with me (wich i know what is ) talk with me instead to try my concern post into a short of drama and rant and flames .

BarukKhazad
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by BarukKhazad » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:36 am

Nastyogre wrote:The best way to end the arrangements, blind people. State very calmly and plainly you waited for a game and you will take it. Period. No need to be upset. If the players who were blinded complain, I would bet the staff will educate them.

This said, what is my policy? New players get one, and only one, pass from me. If they plead ignorance, I educate them and make it clear next time I will enforce my right to the game.

If the opponent I blinded isn't brand new, I might as a courtesy, not attack. Though I've been blinded because I played nice. Most vets (strong or weak) should expect to be blinded and never, ever, complain about being blinded.

This comes up every cycle once or twice. The solution is always the same. Educate and enforce. The vets of the server have a duty to educate new players to their faction. Especially on blinds.

Educate and enforce. Nicely, firmly, calmly.
The above is so on target that I'm not going to try to repeat those points again. Everyone should read them.

When you hear "enemy powerup", you are not obliged to check the Main for recent chatter or to hold back. You can always send a Cancel Game later.

During the next few weeks I am going to blind every chance I get. Maybe I'll send a Cancel game offer... maybe not.
I had opinions/That didn't matter/I had a brain/That felt like pancake batter
I got a backyard/With nothing in it/Except a stick/A dog/And a box with something in it
The hardest button to button/ /The hardest button to button/ /The hardest button to button

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by TigerShark » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:14 am

I suggested this before, but...

...why not allow a basic version of the attack, but done with AFR-only. The catch is that it costs 100% of your Flu and a C-Bill penalty to launch the attack without going active. Players can talk in PM, arrange a game, etc., but they're penalized in Flu and will have to go active in the future (and be blinded) to be able to perform this action again.

Deadweight
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:17 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Deadweight » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:11 pm

crucis lancers wrote:are you saying because i got 1670 elo i got no right to be active and get games?
Hardly. I'm merely pointing out that as the server rules already state you have no obligation to honor an arranged match, asking the unpaid powers that be to volunteer more of their free time enforcing an outright ban against arranged matches because you didn't like the backlash you got for trying to club a seal seems... laughably futile.
TigerShark wrote:I suggested this before, but...

...why not allow a basic version of the attack, but done with AFR-only. The catch is that it costs 100% of your Flu and a C-Bill penalty to launch the attack without going active. Players can talk in PM, arrange a game, etc., but they're penalized in Flu and will have to go active in the future (and be blinded) to be able to perform this action again.
I actually really like this idea a lot, though I suppose it could lead to experienced players being less inclined to want to help out a new player if it meant both players would lose all their FLU.

User avatar
Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 pm

TigerShark wrote:I suggested this before, but...

...why not allow a basic version of the attack, but done with AFR-only. The catch is that it costs 100% of your Flu and a C-Bill penalty to launch the attack without going active. Players can talk in PM, arrange a game, etc., but they're penalized in Flu and will have to go active in the future (and be blinded) to be able to perform this action again.
Hmmm. I don't recall seeing this suggestion before, but it's entirely possible I.missed it. We don't use AFR ops except for training to prevent avoiding strong players. Perhaps that's not a bad idea. Though people might just use that to.attack, cherrypick and then go active to rebuild their Flu and complain when they are blinded.

Anybody else have any thoughts pro or con on Tigershak's idea?

User avatar
Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

BarukKhazad wrote:The above is so on target that I'm not going to try to repeat those points again. Everyone should read them.

During the next few weeks I am going to blind every chance I get. Maybe I'll send a Cancel game offer... maybe not.
That's high praise sir, thank you. I cannot say I always am the example I should be, but I do try.

I will take up your challenge as well. Hur, hur hur. Lurk, Lurk.

User avatar
Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator
Posts: 1377
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Bloodknight » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:01 pm

During the next few weeks I am going to blind every chance I get. Maybe I'll send a Cancel game offer... maybe not.
I don't understand how these problems even come up unless both arrangers get attacked. A player has about two minutes to decide which attack he wants to defend...

McMadMax
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by McMadMax » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Bloodknight wrote:
During the next few weeks I am going to blind every chance I get. Maybe I'll send a Cancel game offer... maybe not.
I don't understand how these problems even come up unless both arrangers get attacked. A player has about two minutes to decide which attack he wants to defend...
They roll for the atacker,and when atacker gets blinded, boom arranged game fails.
Thing is, ppl don't go active and arrange when there's noone to fight.In that case you'd be right, someone is sitting on the front and either gets a game he arranged without interruption or just blinds the 'would be blinder'. They just arranged to avoid fighting those who might be sitting on the front.
The above is so on target that I'm not going to try to repeat those points again. Everyone should read them.

When you hear "enemy powerup", you are not obliged to check the Main for recent chatter or to hold back. You can always send a Cancel Game later.

During the next few weeks I am going to blind every chance I get. Maybe I'll send a Cancel game offer... maybe not.
It's just that some ppl should read and accept the rules, instead of fuzzing over being blinded and not getting the game they wanted.

P.S. What we need is a huge banner saying 'blinding beats arranged and that's the rule' AND the majority of the community backing this up.

hegemon
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by hegemon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:15 pm

I play arranged games, but I never announce it. I believe fully as the rules state the right to attack if a player goes active. That is the risk you take. I think this is a non issue. The real issue is players respecting each other and the rules. Accepting when this happens, and happily playing on.

User avatar
Klingon
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 am
Location: Austin, Texas (on assignment from Luthien)

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Klingon » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:28 pm

Nastyogre wrote:I am not sure how the staff could stop arranged games. The rules are pretty clear. Players going active may be blinded. If you are, be ready to play that game.

The best way to end the arrangements, blind people. State very calmly and plainly you waited for a game and you will take it. Period. No need to be upset. If the players who were blinded complain, I would bet the staff will educate them.

This said, what is my policy? New players get one, and only one, pass from me. If they plead ignorance, I educate them and make it clear next time I will enforce my right to the game.

If the opponent I blinded isn't brand new, I might as a courtesy, not attack. Though I've been blinded because I played nice. Most vets (strong or weak) should expect to be blinded and never, ever, complain about being blinded.

This comes up every cycle once or twice. The solution is always the same. Educate and enforce. The vets of the server have a duty to educate new players to their faction. Especially on blinds.

Educate and enforce. Nicely, firmly, calmly.
And to expound on what BK said, as long as your arranged player launches his attack within two minutes, the blinded player can accept either game; if you go active for an arranged game and you take longer than that to launch your attack, you snooze, you lose.

(for anyone not familiar with the expression: those who take naps instead of doing what they wanted wind up losing that opportunity.)
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

Aunodin
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by Aunodin » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:06 pm

Nastyogre wrote:
TigerShark wrote:I suggested this before, but...

...why not allow a basic version of the attack, but done with AFR-only. The catch is that it costs 100% of your Flu and a C-Bill penalty to launch the attack without going active. Players can talk in PM, arrange a game, etc., but they're penalized in Flu and will have to go active in the future (and be blinded) to be able to perform this action again.
Hmmm. I don't recall seeing this suggestion before, but it's entirely possible I.missed it. We don't use AFR ops except for training to prevent avoiding strong players. Perhaps that's not a bad idea. Though people might just use that to.attack, cherrypick and then go active to rebuild their Flu and complain when they are blinded.

Anybody else have any thoughts pro or con on Tigershak's idea?
If this is going to be the case. Make tutorial games not cost any of your flu still.

hegemon
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:54 am

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by hegemon » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Again the issue is not arranged games. It is courtesy among players. If, people are having fun playing arranged games. They should be allowed. But with that said they run the risk of being blinded. We are here to have fun. There are certain people I enjoy playing because of their comments and personality.

McMadMax
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: please can we ban arranged games or direct enforce them

Post by McMadMax » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 am

hegemon wrote:Again the issue is not arranged games. It is courtesy among players. If, people are having fun playing arranged games. They should be allowed. But with that said they run the risk of being blinded. We are here to have fun. There are certain people I enjoy playing because of their comments and personality.
This is allowed, both players can login with their training account and play a SOL game.
At least i think this doesn't violate any rule.

Post Reply