Commander rule question

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Deadweight

Commander rule question

Post by Deadweight » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:11 am

Can we get some clarification as to which unit is supposed to be the commander?

Over on TS's Dominion server, the commander always had to be the most skilled unit. Each skill point increase or useful combat skill counts as a skill point increase and each skill point above regular (4/5) counts as a decrease. Ex. a 3/4 GM Archer pilot counts as having 3 skill increases whereas a 5/5 GB, GE, AS, NAP piloting a CGR-1A1 would count as having zero skill increases (the GE counters his gunnery skill of 5 and his GB, AS and NAP skills are useless in this case). If two units were tied for most skilled then whichever one was worth more in BV had to be the commander.

Is that the case on MMN or is it just that the unit with the highest BV has to be the commander? Or can the commander be any unit in an army?

Whatever the answer can we get it added to the appropriate thread in the rules section of the forum please?

Thanks.

Mole

Re: Commander rule question

Post by Mole » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:14 am

I don't have a link handy, and I believe that I found a note that under current special rules on our server EITHER the highest BV unit OR the highest skill (lowest skillsum) unit should be designated commander. This keep folks from making an inconsequential unit the commander and just hiding it.
"Take what you can, give nothing back!"
The beard, the earrings, the rum...of course I'm a pirate.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm

I am looking for the announcement found it. It's not just the pilot skills, but all skills.

Commanders:
You are required to appoint one in every army you're going active with before you go active with it.
The commander must be either the most expensive unit (bv) in your army or the most seasoned pilot (counting all skills, including Natural Aptitudes). It seems clear to me. Staff would have to provide further clarification.

fokker

Post by fokker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Nastyogre, can you please post link?

Honestly, I was not aware of that limitation, so I was obviously setting commanders randomly. The only thing I could find was this viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5252&p=58646&hilit= ... ion#p58646 where Bloodknight states (direct copy&paste):

"You need to set a commander ("a" meaning exactly one!) to get a legal army now because the Assassination Operation uses the Commander Kill victory condition. Please be mature about this and don't make me make a ruling about this which tells you who has to be the commander. Stay away from abusive behavior."

Mole

Post by Mole » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Here is the source, from Bloodknight on 4 March 2015 under the topic "Feb 2015 Cycle News":
Commanders:
You are required to appoint one in every army you're going active with before you go active with it.
The commander must be either the most expensive unit (bv) in your army or the most seasoned pilot (counting all skills, including Natural Aptitudes).

viewtopic.php?p=58864#p58864

Since this is currently located in a cycle-specific section, and that cycle is now over, it probably ought to be moved to or repeated under "Special Rule Reminders."

Deadweight

Post by Deadweight » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:43 am

Mole wrote:I don't have a link handy, and I believe that I found a note that under current special rules on our server EITHER the highest BV unit OR the highest skill (lowest skillsum) unit should be designated commander. This keep folks from making an inconsequential unit the commander and just hiding it.
I really like the way TS does it on Dominion. The commander must be the most skilled pilot and in the case of a tie, then the higher BV is the commander. I suppose you could argue that a 4/5 MAD-4A pilot (BV of 2900 or something) really ought to lead an army, even if all his lance mates are 1/3 Schreks, but I think skill/XP of the pilot ought to be a higher priority.

In any case, adding the specifics of the commander rules to this thread would be appreciated.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:23 am

Done
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Mole

Post by Mole » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:21 am

Thanks, Spork. On the special rules list, one edit and a question...

EDIT:
6) Currently Field Gun infantry can fire the field gun into the hex they're occupying. This should not be possible according to TacOps Errata 3.1 page 9. Use the rifles in that case, not the field gun.
5a) It is possible, depending on the order it's done in, to fire both the rifles and the field gun, contrary to the rules. Doing so will henceforth be considered bug abuse.
Rule 5) must have been bumped down to become 6), you can probably just lose the 5a) and make that sentence part of rule 6).

QUESTION:

I see hull down is not mentioned in the special rules, has that bug be fixed?