New cycle discussion

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Re: New cycle discussion

Post by Spork » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:24 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Spork wrote:When I return, we will commence elections. If a faction has only a few players, then so be it, they will have a heavy influence on the upcoming server configuration. Nominations will run for 1 week, elections for 1 further, and then we will start in earnest.
Since we'll be voting based on what faction we happen to be in when you return, I'd like to confirm a few things first:

What factions are open for next cycle? Are we back to all of them?

Will the build tables be staying the same? This can affect faction choices, and some players may want to switch before nominations begin.

As for leaders, Ogre did an excellent job with FS last cycle. No matter what faction he winds up in, I'd like to see him leading it. I suspect he's going to win the vote anyway but in my opinion he deserves to simply be awarded a spot on the council. Not that I'm creating yet more work for him or anything! :D
All 5 great houses plus the Periphery will be open. Periphery will continue as non-conq.

The build tables will stay essentially the same *FOR NOW* with the addition of the contest winners. I will be simplifying them a little to get rid of subfolder storage, as that has caused technical issues.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:35 pm

From Bloodknight: "I'd like to repeat this: the new cycle is in the hands of the players. Get together in the factions and think about who you want to have as your leaders for the next cycle, because those guys will have a real say in what's going to happen."

I have a humble suggestion to make - Start the new cycle as soon as possible. I'm not sure how realistic it is for a mostly AWOL playerbase (in between cycle lull) to get together and make much happen.

Cycle start, is when everyone is most enthusiastic and energised - thats the time to really make a new initiative work...

Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator

Post by Bloodknight » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:12 pm

That's actually an interesting dichotomy there. Lots of players don't like the campaign aspect and are vocal about that (losing land, aaah), but as soon as the cycle ends and there's free gaming, the player base goes poof. That really does not compute.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:23 pm

I think it means that most people are here for the campaign, at least in part. The campaign does drive people to play games and to participate. It is interesting, if frustrating sometimes but for most it is enjoyable. I think the people who say they would prefer to play without the ability to lose land or lose the campaign are being honest, but that they are a minority of the player base, if a vocal minority.

Klingon

Post by Klingon » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Bloodknight wrote:That's actually an interesting dichotomy there. Lots of players don't like the campaign aspect and are vocal about that (losing land, aaah), but as soon as the cycle ends and there's free gaming, the player base goes poof. That really does not compute.
What the odoriferous giant said. You're *hearing* the minority because they're vocal, but then *seeing* the majority's impact.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 pm

Nastyogre wrote:I think it means that most people are here for the campaign, at least in part. The campaign does drive people to play games and to participate. It is interesting, if frustrating sometimes but for most it is enjoyable. I think the people who say they would prefer to play without the ability to lose land or lose the campaign are being honest, but that they are a minority of the player base, if a vocal minority.
People don't always know what they want or what's best for them. A 'campaign' with no narrative, nothing to win/lose and no land gain dies a quick, pitiful death. I've seen it, over-and-over, throughout the past 10 years. The second you take away the economy, land gain, etc., people don't take the campaign seriously. It becomes a game of checkers for them and they MIGHT log on once in a while to get a game, but there's no "carrot on the stick." No reason to stay committed and engaged.

Imagine if two games of football occurred at the same time: One where they kept score, and one where they played for fun. Which do you think would have more viewers? Which would the best, most-competitive players engage in? The answer to that is pretty darned obvious. So while there are people who "prefer" there be no land gain/loss, they'll also be the first to leave once it's gone.

The real problem is some folks just don't like to lose. Or they feel demoralized by it. So instead of disappointing their peers, they'd prefer a 'participation' campaign. And that's not something MekWars can cater to or solve, really. The way the server is now is the best way it can be. IMO, and from what I see, of course. Spork's been here since the beginning. He'd make major changes if there needed to be any.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 am

TigerShark wrote:
Nastyogre wrote:The way the server is now is the best way it can be.

I whole heartedly agree. The tweaks we make are for interest or to make incremental improvements. The campaign really is excellent. People just need to make the decision to participate, have fun and get the most out of it. Land is won or lost all the time. Meks and tanks go boom. There is always another cycle, another mek, another game. While I am always very partisan (A son of the Suns) I am more loyal to the campaign. I always want to win and see us win. I stopped obsessing over it. My role as a faction leader is to push the faction. The typical player? Play, have fun, contribute. Should you try and help your faction? Sure. It isn't very nice to your teammates to play and not care at all about the campaign. We shouldn't obsess over it. Fed Suns were terrible doormats when I started. It was frustrating sometimes but it was still fun to play the underdog.

I hope more people find this campaign and more come back and play. The bigger and more active the cycle is, the better it is for all players.

Klingon

Post by Klingon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 am

TigerShark wrote:
People don't always know what they want or what's best for them.

It's often been said the worst thing you can do to someone is give them exactly what they want...
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

Ceorl

Post by Ceorl » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:35 am

I think the people who say they would prefer to play without the ability to lose land or lose the campaign are being honest, but that they are a minority of the player base, if a vocal minority.
Land loss isn't the problem. Land loss is a symptom of the problem. Its actually match selection.

Common Stated Complaint: "I don't like losing territory for my faction."

Actual Complaint: "I'm a busy person who squeezes in time to play a game. I don't have time to fish so I go active immediately. I get jumped by an elite player. I lose. I'm not willing to change my approach to game selection. I don't like losing territory for my faction.

I've lost most games I play on this server (since I started back in the McWizard days). I have an average skill-set at best. I have a 1650+ ELO. I got there by learning how to dodge from elite players. They may not care about seal clubbing or min/maxing but they are careful about who they fight. Busy day: one or two elite on elite matches, eight veteran on rookie mismatches.

So I copied the pattern. Learned to never agree to PM match requests unless I knew the player. Learned who was better than me. Learned when they would be online. Learned who has the closest pattern to me and flagged with no-play. Learned how to stagger my front line activation with a rookie who would draw the sharks to him and off me (For what its worth I also learned don't attack unless the ELO differential is close.)

I'm a better player than I used to be, but alot of my improvement is due to my ability to pick and choose fights. Rookies get onto the server to play this game and nothing else. I learned to have another game running in the background and to be prepared to not get a game in .

It's, hands down, the biggest problem facing the server but I do think its fixable solution.
Last edited by Ceorl on Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Retired)

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:59 am

Ceorl trees the quarry. This is true. I would add, then you then learn more slowly and can benefit more from games vs elite players and learn. You learn little frothy being annihilated.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:23 am

Ceorl wrote:Learned to never agree to PM match requests unless I knew the player.
Ceorl, you make the server sound like a reeeally scary place ^^
Nastyogre wrote:Ceorl trees the quarry. This is true. I would add, then you then learn more slowly and can benefit more from games vs elite players and learn. You learn little frothy being annihilated.
Drunk typing Nasty? I can't quite make out what you are trying to say hur hur

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:19 pm

A little? Basically, Ceorl is right. Managing your opponents and learning to play at your own level or close. We learn little from being annihilated.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:13 am

Nominations will open tomorrow morning, Pacific time. They will be open for 1 week.

If you see faction mates online who have not registered for on the forums (not so) gently remind them that it's not optional.

Eric von Kastell

Post by Eric von Kastell » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Some questions:

All the announcements regarding new cycle, Council of 6 and nominations sound to me, as if all players will start the new cycle in the faction they currently belong to. Is that right?

Dies this also mean, the new cycle will begin without playing some tutorials first being mandatory?

Best regards,
EvK

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:23 pm

There will be a short mid-cycle run with elected leadership in place and the initial new settings. This will last approximately 2 weeks while people get used to the settings and the Council gets used to their positions. After that, everyone's account will be reset. Elected leaders will be required to join the faction that elected them. Others will not.

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:40 pm

Well faction Leader nomination seems to be a farce in some houses (well at least one).

3 players in a house and only one nominating? Uhm, somehow that seems not to work for me. What happens if nobody votes there? Are the nominated set up in alphabetical order as house leaders even if they do not play?

I´m not sure that selecting cycle leaders is a good idea in a cycle free time instead of the first 4 weeks of a new cycle when most players decided where to play.

Think under this circumstances I will not play in the house I would have liked to play and I´m not sure if I play next cycle at all.

At the moment this house leader selection is a pain. An I do not want to play in a unleaded house.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:45 pm

I would love to disagree, Gambit. What do you suggest I do about it?

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:17 pm

As of right now, there are zero factions with accepted nominations. Nomination period ends tomorrow morning, regardless. If there are no accepted nominations, we will restart the cycle this weekend with no Council members. I will reopen nominations when I feel like it.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Oops. I guess I overlooked the fact that we were supposed to accept nominations. I've accepted the DC nomination now.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:46 pm

I have as well.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:59 pm

I'm in CC, but I will happily accept the nominations for all factions that lack one, just to get the council started. I'm sure Ogre and I won't abuse the multiple votes we control to gain any advantage for the Confederation. :D

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:31 pm

Well, as idea start the cycle the weekend, open nomination for the unleaded faction for 14 days and give them a week to vote. Otherways no leaders in the houses who could not nominate one player woh would accept the leadership roll.
Then close the house down to the same status as periphery.
Allow one free defection from a unleaded house to the players in it.

As a way to get players motivated to care for faction leaders.

Just an idea.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:04 pm

I nominate Petrol for FS Leadership.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:30 pm

Put up a call for any players willing to lead then assign them or draft them to the faction.
Though factions without leaders becomeing non-conquest is interesting.

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:21 pm

Would take the hat at LC (grumbingly),

but with no players nominating, no way to accept a nomination.

But by the rules I´ve no chance to say I would do it if nobody else is there.

Maybee Spork you should just set in vets at interims.

And I still think the threading with not beeing important would work.