Dedicated Server

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Jarrick

Dedicated Server

Post by Jarrick » Thu May 28, 2015 12:52 am

So I have an extra machine laying around, that I don't use for very much other than hosting my Calibre ebook server. Decided I would set up a dedicated server or two to benefit the community- especially since I am available via email almost anytime to resolve any problems. Within minutes of it being hosted it was vandalized. The comments field that had my contact information was changed, it was sent restart commands that I did not send, etc.
Message read loud and clear- no further dedicated servers are needed, and help/participation is unwanted. In the future, a simple PM might suffice, instead of vandalizing my dedicated, ok?

Padraig Tseng
Mekwars Server Operator

Re: Dedicated Server

Post by Padraig Tseng » Thu May 28, 2015 3:02 am

Wow....isn't there logs of who sent commands, changed the settings etc? I am sure that the admins don't want this kind of stuff happening and will punish the perpetrators appropriately.
life is the crummiest book I ever read,
there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up

Jarrick

Post by Jarrick » Thu May 28, 2015 4:30 am

The person laughed about changing stuff in main, so logs aren't even needed, though I'm sure there are some somewhere. Moderators and an admin were on. I wasted time trying to figure out if there was something wrong with my dedi before I realized what was going on.
I'm sure it has something to do with it being me in particular. I just wish someone would have said go away, instead of vandalizing the ded.

Jug

Post by Jug » Thu May 28, 2015 10:02 am

Sorry 72nd Sword of Light that was me who changed the name of your ded, I thought I was just having a bit of fun with you, no offence was meant , to be honest I didn't think I would have access and be able to change the name. Very sorry that it upset you. I actually didn't realise you had posted your contact info, the information scrolled off the edge of field box and I didn't see it. I cant host at all, so I really appreciate the deds that others provide.

Mentawl
Former MegaMekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Mentawl » Thu May 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Please do not mess with dedicated servers. They are left unlocked so that any and all players can reset, load saves etc as needs be. Restricting command access to whitelisted users (which is the only access control available, and is all-or-nothing) just causes hassle and prevents people being able to use the servers freely.

Klingon

Post by Klingon » Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Jug wrote:Sorry 72nd Sword of Light that was me who changed the name of your ded, I thought I was just having a bit of fun with you, no offence was meant , to be honest I didn't think I would have access and be able to change the name. Very sorry that it upset you. I actually didn't realise you had posted your contact info, the information scrolled off the edge of field box and I didn't see it. I cant host at all, so I really appreciate the deds that others provide.
1: You can move the field box edges, so if it scrolls off just move the divider.
2: There are few enough deds as is, players volunteering to host them should be encouraged, not messed with.

I hadn't thought we'd actually need a rule here, but apparently we just might.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

Jug

Post by Jug » Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 am

I've been here for many years, I've never done anything to a ded I'm not supposed to. I had just told 72nd how to set the name of his ded, then saw it have a name that scrolled off and just looked like gibberish. I changed it to make it simple and easy to see without thinking, It was a mistake and something I had no right to do, I sincerely apologise to 72nd, mods and staff and will never tamper again.