Poll about Cycle Reset

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Do you want to reset to the campaign of 2008?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 21

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Poll about Cycle Reset

Post by Tuco » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 pm

I'm considering a Cycle Reset. It would revert the server to the settings of 2008 (the most successful time of this server) with only a few settings changed.

- Operations would go back to this: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3 but I am considering to remove bv spread from all operations. Also, there will be no Aeros or Fighters in ground operations. VTOLs will be treated as support units, and somewhat limited.
- There will be a subfaction system.
- Tables would go back to mostly CBT's RAT. Reintroduction of Rare Tables.
- Full Map and disctricts, for use of Cycle Goals. Cycles maybe will be game-mastered.
- More...

This poll will run unlimited and you are able change your vote should you reconsider.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Ceorl

Re: Poll about Cycle Reset

Post by Ceorl » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:32 am

Generally the idea strikes me as a good one. I am concerned about a full reset to 2008. Alot has happened in 10 years, and we could end up removing alot of positive changes with a full reset.
(Retired)

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:51 am

Can you list them?
A key part of this idea is to review everything that has happened since then, and what was made with good intentions may as well turn out to not really be better. To judge that, you'll mostly have to re-play with the historical Settings.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Gen Lee Incompetent

Post by Gen Lee Incompetent » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:17 pm

2008 = the repair/repair parts era or the one just preceding it?

I would say the period I enjoyed the most was the simplest rules and the "active" play of the old MMNET server and the time just after the move to MekWars. That said, I never play enough in any one cycle for it to really matter what my opinion is. It does seem like people who actually do have a significant number of matches this cycle are frustrated by the limited amount of supply they get, or the limited number of bays, so perhaps I'm out of sync with what everyone else enjoys. No matter what you pick I'll play my standard 10-20 matches, because in the end, mekwars is the best way to play CBT.

Ceorl

Post by Ceorl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:17 am

Can you list them?
Ten years worth of change logs? I wouldn't even know where to being. Do we have a database somewhere with this information? It strikes me as a true project to dig through ten years of records and, I'll be honest, I have little coding skill.
(Retired)

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:24 am

Nah, I'm not asking that. You sounded like you had certain things in mind, but it does not look like?

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Hullo, I voted 'yes'.

To add on to Ceorl's point, these are some of the positive changes over the past decade that i think we could try include:

(1) Getting rid of redundant FLU as we have done in this cycle
(2) Standardized Terrain
(3) Blind BM
(4) Making scrapping and donating either impossible, or prohibitively expensive. Play what you get

Just my humble opinion

Illician Lancers

Post by Illician Lancers » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Well I will give my 2 cents here too.

I agree with OP points so those will be great to keep or implement on top of those:

Remove BV spread all together and use the 50% rule that is and was very effective in other servers, 50% of your army units need to be H and M units, those were the real heavy units in 3025. I think that will work pretty good in the long run.

I think prohibited scrap, donations and even transfers will do great to stop the grooming hangar. Use what you got then replace when you lost it.

I think buying bays should be aloud again but made the bays more expensive. I'm a big fan of big hangars but I think you need to work harder for it, plus give a lot of flexibility to all players.

Blind BM wasn't a problem at all the cycles that was running I think works better that the open BM, again is a way to stop grooming hangars.

Double Blind should be on the table again even if you need to remove IDF and made IDF optional. Give more deep to the game and made it more fun.

The big map should be back and now that planets have standard terrain maps should not be an issue. I think that having the full map is better that playing in the void with 4 planets just because those are more relevant doesn't mean that everybody want to play always in Quentin, New Earth, Oliver, etc.

Bigger initial hangar with all weights on it. Maybe this is a little big but for an idea 5L, 7M, 7H, 5A can be just mechs, 50% mechs and vees, etc give more flexibility to all players and a bigger range to get games.

Well those are my 2 cents. :wink:

Kveldulf

Post by Kveldulf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 pm

I think what some may be confusing here is the mekwars software version and the set up for the server. Are we talking about rolling ten years back software version as well? Or just in the way that the server play campaign was set up and the rules surrounding that? I would not personally want to see any of the servers go back to an ancient version like that and turn their back on the development of the software itself. However, going back to a rule set and campaign set up that was popular at the time and worked at the time may not be a bad thing.

I personally will not be voting as I have not been actively playing on the server and I feel that this decision is best left to those people it will most effect.

Lando

Post by Lando » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Illician Lancers wrote:Well I will give my 2 cents here too.

I agree with OP points so those will be great to keep or implement on top of those:

Remove BV spread all together and use the 50% rule that is and was very effective in other servers, 50% of your army units need to be H and M units, those were the real heavy units in 3025. I think that will work pretty good in the long run.

I think prohibited scrap, donations and even transfers will do great to stop the grooming hangar. Use what you got then replace when you lost it.

I think buying bays should be aloud again but made the bays more expensive. I'm a big fan of big hangars but I think you need to work harder for it, plus give a lot of flexibility to all players.

Blind BM wasn't a problem at all the cycles that was running I think works better that the open BM, again is a way to stop grooming hangars.

Double Blind should be on the table again even if you need to remove IDF and made IDF optional. Give more deep to the game and made it more fun.

The big map should be back and now that planets have standard terrain maps should not be an issue. I think that having the full map is better that playing in the void with 4 planets just because those are more relevant doesn't mean that everybody want to play always in Quentin, New Earth, Oliver, etc.

Bigger initial hangar with all weights on it. Maybe this is a little big but for an idea 5L, 7M, 7H, 5A can be just mechs, 50% mechs and vees, etc give more flexibility to all players and a bigger range to get games.

Well those are my 2 cents. :wink:
Well in this case I disagree to obese pigeon and Illician Lancers.
If I got Tuco right, then it is one goal of the roll back to figure out and test all the "improvements" that was done in that years. To do so, we should start with the original rule set, and make one change or another at a time.
I support that. Many things which had done were done with a good intention, but not with a good result. Therefore i think it is good to go back to the beginning and to try it again.

Additionally I think it is worth to try out Jackals ideas in investigasting the life cycles of the player here. Where do they come from? How long did they stay in what process? How many people visit the homepage and how many download the software. And so on. Maybe we get some clues on how to attract more new players with doing that.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:12 am

Illician Lancers wrote:The big map should be back and now that planets have standard terrain maps should not be an issue. I think that having the full map is better that playing in the void with 4 planets just because those are more relevant doesn't mean that everybody want to play always in Quentin, New Earth, Oliver, etc.
I had to hand-edit the planets file. Doing so for 2000+ planets is not something I'm looking forward to.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Illician Lancers

Post by Illician Lancers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 am

Spork wrote:
Illician Lancers wrote:The big map should be back and now that planets have standard terrain maps should not be an issue. I think that having the full map is better that playing in the void with 4 planets just because those are more relevant doesn't mean that everybody want to play always in Quentin, New Earth, Oliver, etc.
I had to hand-edit the planets file. Doing so for 2000+ planets is not something I'm looking forward to.
I totally understand it that is a huge job

Vector

Post by Vector » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Spork wrote:I had to hand-edit the planets file. Doing so for 2000+ planets is not something I'm looking forward to.
Shouldn't it be really easy to write a script to edit it for you? I've done stuff like that with Python already.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:13 pm

I will consider most of what you said here but not all. It has to be in current code and I want as few Announced Special Rules as possible.

Remember that the BM was turned blind with buildtables spread into common and factory. That's a later system and I don't want to run one without the other. But special factory tables are not where I want to go.

I would go for simple repairs and play what you get.

And a subfaction structure that will encourage to get promoted but not leave everyone else behind.

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Is there a reset planned? I logged in and found no willing players around.
Are we simply dying? Or am I only around at times nobody wants to play?

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 am

I'm still around, i was gone about a month because i was busy in real life. I'm back again and i'm hardly seeing anyone either.

May be time for a reset

Ares

Post by Ares » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:33 pm

I agree. I was around last week but I could hardly find anyone. Maybe a reset could help.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:36 pm

I don't think resetting is what people are waiting for, IMO. Even the Jihad server only had ~15 regular players at launch, which dwindles depending on the day.

Mekwars itself is just losing its player base to the new video games. Period. The only thing I can imagine that would bring in new players is setting a server in a new era. Clan Invasion, Wars of Reaving, Republic, Dark Age, etc.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Nothing beats the board game, in my humble opinion :)