Betting cbills on games

Post here your ideas for the server software (not campaign)

Moderators: Torren, Moderators

Dwight Derringer

Betting cbills on games

Post by Dwight Derringer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:22 pm

I think it would be a fun addition to the game to be able to bet cbills on ongoing matches. I don't know how possible it is, but if the MegaMek client can understand commands and modify values within the campaign environment why don't we do it?

Saint

Re: Betting cbills on games

Post by Saint » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:32 pm

If there was a oddsmaking service that took into account elo spread and unit composition that would be pretty awesome.
it ain't no taint to be the Saint

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:18 pm

A really interesting idea. But i think needs a little more meat.

For example, who sets the odds? What are the mechanics of placing a bet? I would think that placing a bet when a game is already underway should be a no-go.

Saint

Post by Saint » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:25 am

It would almost have to be coded and the client/server would have to be the bookkeeper.

Of course, you can always bet within faction just by transferring cbills.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:47 am

Actually, it could be done in a simpler way. Just make it so that the two playets betting determine the amounts at stake on their own, hence indirectly setting the odds.

for example, if we chance upon a game between Captain Sealclubber and Corporal Clueless, you and me might decide to enter into a bet.

for example, i decide to wager 1000 cbills on the clear favorite, Captain Sealclubber. Seeing the size of my wager, you bet only 100 cbills on Corporal Clueless, implying that Clueless has much poorer odds to win. If Sealclubber wins, i take the 1100 cbill pool, a small return on the amount wagered. If Clueless wins, you take 1100 as well, a huge return on the amount wagered

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 pm

obese pigeon wrote:Actually, it could be done in a simpler way. Just make it so that the two playets betting determine the amounts at stake on their own, hence indirectly setting the odds.

for example, if we chance upon a game between Captain Sealclubber and Corporal Clueless, you and me might decide to enter into a bet.

for example, i decide to wager 1000 cbills on the clear favorite, Captain Sealclubber. Seeing the size of my wager, you bet only 100 cbills on Corporal Clueless, implying that Clueless has much poorer odds to win. If Sealclubber wins, i take the 1100 cbill pool, a small return on the amount wagered. If Clueless wins, you take 1100 as well, a huge return on the amount wagered
Odds are pretty easy to set. There are tools which will compare ELOs and provide a probable outcome. Sure our mistress the RNG can slant that somewhat but with Baruk's analysis last year of the outcomes, we see that ELO (if we modified the K value especially) would be a rather accurate predictor of success.

If this were done right, there would be some limit to the betting to deployment or something. Though real-time betting using a comparison of remaining BV's would be interesting as well.

Saint

Post by Saint » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:25 am

I could have made a killing off of ostsol on my game last night if there was midgame betting :lol:

Saint

Post by Saint » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 am

But unit composition and maps have a huge effect on games as well, not just ELO. So that information would have to be available to the bookie.

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I think that having 2 players bet against one another is an unnecessary complication. I think that the best way to implement this feature would be to have one person bet against an odd that is calculated based on the BV of both armies and the ELO of both players. I do think that it is a good idea to restrict the betting to the first couple of rounds in any particular game.