Harmony Gold at it again

Not related to MegaMek/MegaMekNET/MekWars

Moderator: Moderators

wildj79

Harmony Gold at it again

Post by wildj79 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 pm

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/34e3x ... ict-court/

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned here yet. Looks like Harmony Gold is going after PGI and Harebrained Schemes over copyright infringement. Also, looks like InResMedia has also been pulled into the dispute.

Ceorl

Re: Harmony Gold at it again

Post by Ceorl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 pm

Interesting, seemed to good to be true at the time and, after a quick review of just the Petition, Harmony Gold says there was never any agreement with PGI over the Unseen. Btw, I love this "This case involves animated giant warrior robots.".
(Retired)

wildj79

Post by wildj79 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:23 pm

Relevent threads in other BT related forum's:

HBS Battletech Forum
CGL Forum
MWO Forum Post 1
MWO Forum Post 2

I'm sure there are more ;)

Chaser

Post by Chaser » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:21 pm

great summery vid by Sid Alpha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtlynQrG6c

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 pm

I am a little surprised that PGI, HBS, TOPPS etc didn't stick their new designs under HG's nose and get their sign-off. I get the idea that it might have prompted a challenge but you wouldn't have existent products (MWO) and near existent (HBS) products end up challenged.

This has impacted the rollout of several Iron Wind Metals figures.

I sincerely hope that Topps and perhaps even Microsoft (because they licensed PGI) get involved and stomp HG once and for all.

Windschreiter

Post by Windschreiter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:09 am

As I read the complaint Russ showed it to Harmony twice - Harmony rejected twice.

Main Argument seems to be the settlement agreement between Harmony and FASA - the comparison chart for Mechs from BT game to Robotech is lacking all over the place: Locust is set against Officer's Pod/Glaug (Marauder) Atlas against Armored Valkyrie (Crusader) and SHD vs Destroid Spartan (Archer)

They got the Images of MW:O right though, but then they are named and they only need to check their records for the corresponding Robotech/Macross designs.

I really hoped they had a TRUE solution to the unseens (besides the reseens) now Catalyst could suffer too :(

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:08 pm

If Harmony rejected it, why would you go forward? What's more why wouldn't MS or Topps simply buy out HG or pay them for the license. Several years ago that license wasn't worth much.
Or go to the original IP owner and get them to end the IP squatting that HG is doing?

Sounds to me that they wanted to do all this on the cheap and that they didn't secure the IP.

My hope still is the big dogs decide to fight and not roll-over.

Windschreiter

Post by Windschreiter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 pm

As I take it FASA got the rights from Studio Nue (the original creators of the Artwork, according to japanese ruling), but with the settlement agreement they admitted that Harmony has the legal right - or at least that's what Harmony is propagading, the agreement itself is confidential.

Russ Bullock said their legal position was solid when they started releasing the unseens.

I think this is true, that's why Harmony Gold's complaint is more directed at the settlement agreement and Jordan as a person - they build the connection on the MW:O subline "a battletech game" if they had a case before I think they would've sued before the unseens were available in MW:O. They even got a cease and disist for the MW5 Trailer (the original with the WHM), where there was no profit involved yet. PGI has been selling the reseens for what? almost 2 years now? With Russ contacting Harmony in 2013. => again I don't think they have a case against the designs as such, but more against said agreement.

I hope for the best, but all this uncertainty sucks.

Saint

Post by Saint » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am

it ain't no taint to be the Saint

Saint

Post by Saint » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:41 am

it ain't no taint to be the Saint

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm

There is no consensus that this is bad for HG and good for PGI/HBS/CGL. BUT the fact that it might be good for them gives me some hope this will all be put to bed once and for all.

maelstorm

Post by maelstorm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:17 pm

updated video about such events..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE1nOjj23C4