I need help to think of a name for my new puppy!

Not related to MegaMek/MegaMekNET/MekWars

Moderator: Moderators

Dwight Derringer

I need help to think of a name for my new puppy!

Post by Dwight Derringer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 am

Hi guys. Not many of you know me well, but those that have had interactions with me know that I am a) politely merciless, and b) an animal person.

I work with animals, I study animals, I spend what free time I have during the warmer months collecting and identifying insects and arthropods... it's an obsession.

I have a lot of pets. A cat, a snake, a gecko, a lizard, spiders, rats... and soon a puppy. But I can't think of a name for the puppy:

That is her. Her breed is called 'Brittany' for the region of France where they are thought to originate. I usually name my animals after their taxonomy, but my fiancee won't let me name the puppy 'Dog' so I have to think of something else. Any ideas?

Saint

Re: I need help to think of a name for my new puppy!

Post by Saint » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:57 am

El Perro
it ain't no taint to be the Saint

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:56 am

I propose Diana, the greek goddess of hunting. The Brittany is an HPR breed (Hunt, point, and retrieve), and really likes to hunt.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:22 pm

Saint wrote:El Perro
My girl is clever and would catch this one right away and I'd be in el perro house for trying to pull the wool over her eyes.
Tuco wrote:I propose Diana, the greek goddess of hunting. The Brittany is an HPR breed (Hunt, point, and retrieve), and really likes to hunt.
I am a huge fan of the classical Greeks (why I like the Clans in BT so much) and I really like the aspects this name evokes, but I was raised to believe that giving an animal a name that a human I might meet one day could have is inappropriate, so it's a no go for Diana even though it's perfect.

Lumpi
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Lumpi » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:51 pm

just Change Pantheon ;)

ARTEMIS suits your BT addiction as well :)
"was interessiert mich mein geschwätz von gestern!" Konrad Adenauer German Chancelor
"what do I care about my chatter from yesterday!"

BarukKhazad
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by BarukKhazad » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 am

Rather than suggest a specific name, I'd suggest naming the pup for how you want her to be. Not something cutesy or silly.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:35 pm

My childhood pets were often named after villains. We had Cardinal Richeleu (Ritche), Fu Man Chu, Simon Barsinister, Natasha, Ivan the Terrible.
My own pets have been named after philisophers, historical figures, heroes. Socrates, Caesar, Roland, Samson.
We have had some exceptions. Freckles the cat. Chance the boxer. (He came to us named)

How you name her won't change who she is, but it will effect a bit how you relate to her. More than anything, train her. Too many good dogs ruined when people couldn't be bothered with basic obedience training and socialization. Puppies can learn to behave right away. It just takes work. They will still do puppy things but they can be taught not to bite, pee in the house and chew on the furniture.

Have fun!

Chaser

Post by Chaser » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 am

I had two labs names Tequila and Kahlúa when i was a younger man. Booze name them after booze.

Saint

Post by Saint » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 am

My dog's full name is Whiskey Jack. A booze and American Gods reference. So yeah, booze works. Name her cognac or brandy :D

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 am

Saint wrote:My dog's full name is Whiskey Jack. A booze and American Gods reference. So yeah, booze works. Name her cognac or brandy :D
American Gods by Neil Gaiman? I'm reading that right now as a matter of fact. I'm only on page 20, so no spoilers!

Saint

Post by Saint » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:05 am

Great book.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 am

Pariah, from Fallout II :D
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Tuco wrote:Pariah, from Fallout II :D
Heh, i like that one. Unfortunately, Dwight may not be long for this world if he took your suggestion ^^

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:40 am

Welp, it's been a few weeks since I went and picked up my pupper, who I named Scully after Scully from the X-Files. She is the 2nd dog I've had (evil ex-girlfriend took my first one) and she is just as annoying as a puppy as the first one was. I was considering the following names; Ikki after the first couple syllables of an Inuit word for partner; Archer after the mek; Dog. In fact, I was leaning towards Dog but my girlfriend talked me out of it.

Scully knows that she has to wait for her food until I tell her she can have it, how to sit, how to stay and how to come. We've been working on lie down, but as it turns out what she has in sportiness and cuteness she lacks in intelligence :/ she still has her dumb puppy brain so I can't expect too much yet.

Here she is standing in the yard, being shy towards my phone and in her crate, wondering what the fuck I'm doing bent over peering into it.

Saint

Post by Saint » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 am

She's a cutie patootie.