Ubuntu Help Required

Issues with the game engine (not campaign)

Moderators: BeeRockxs, Moderators

Old_62

Ubuntu Help Required

Post by Old_62 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:45 am

G'day All,

Have an issue trying to get MegaMek to run in Ubuntu 17. I get the menu box up asking for initial input, however, regardless of whether I try Single Player, Multi-Player etc, I get exactly the same error message. I last played MegaMek back in the very early 2000's and not long migrated to Ubuntu as my OS. So, I expect it is the idiot behind the keyboard who is at fault, but after chasing down everything I could across various boards/sites and FAQ's, I can't find any answers (another hint that I am at fault).

Any help, pointers or constructive criticisms welcome.

Error message reads:

"Could not initialise:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: data/images/units/mechset.txt (No such file or directory)
"

Now, I have followed that file path and the file does, in fact, exist as does the actual pathway.

I am on a Toshiba Satellite dual core 32 bit machine running Ubuntu 17.

Please help?

Cheers,

AJ sends

Ironboot
Mekwars Server Operator

Re: Ubuntu Help Required

Post by Ironboot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Couple of questions...

Are you running Mekwars and then Megamek? Or just megamek?

What version of megamek are you using?

For the latest Megamek download... 0.42.2 is here https://megamek.org/downloads

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm

The good news is that arlith (one of the MM developers) does check in on this board, and several of the devs run linux of some sort. So you are likely to get an answer.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Looks light an access rights problem.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:06 am

Ironboot wrote:Couple of questions...

Are you running Mekwars and then Megamek? Or just megamek?

What version of megamek are you using?

For the latest Megamek download... 0.42.2 is here https://megamek.org/downloads
Just MegaMek and the latest download.
AJ Sends

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 am

I guess I am alone in this. I have now succumbed to temptation and tried using wine. Now getting errors re: Java which make no sense.

I think I will simply go back to tabletop.

Thanks for the chance to post Spork. Appreciate it.
AJ Sends

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:11 am

So far none of the MM coders has replied, probably holidays season. With a bit patience, your issue may yet be resolved :)
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:01 am

Tuco wrote:So far none of the MM coders has replied, probably holidays season. With a bit patience, your issue may yet be resolved :)
Too old and broken to be patient these days. I wore out my patience in the Hindu Kush :lol:
AJ Sends

BeeRockxs
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by BeeRockxs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 am

It wsounds like the zip file containing MegaMek was not correctly extracted. D oyou have a data directory inside the directory containing MegaMek.jar? Is there an images directory inside that directory? Is there a units directory inside that directory? Does that directory contain the mechset.txt file?

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:11 am

BeeRockxs wrote:It wsounds like the zip file containing MegaMek was not correctly extracted. D oyou have a data directory inside the directory containing MegaMek.jar? Is there an images directory inside that directory? Is there a units directory inside that directory? Does that directory contain the mechset.txt file?
Yes to all.
AJ Sends

BeeRockxs
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by BeeRockxs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Old_62 wrote:
BeeRockxs wrote:It wsounds like the zip file containing MegaMek was not correctly extracted. D oyou have a data directory inside the directory containing MegaMek.jar? Is there an images directory inside that directory? Is there a units directory inside that directory? Does that directory contain the mechset.txt file?
Yes to all.
Then there's a problem with how you start MegaMek. Can you try to do it from console, by first navigating to the directory containing MegaMek.jar, and then running "java -jar MegaMek.jar"?

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:23 pm

BeeRockxs wrote:
Old_62 wrote:
Yes to all.
Then there's a problem with how you start MegaMek. Can you try to do it from console, by first navigating to the directory containing MegaMek.jar, and then running "java -jar MegaMek.jar"?
Tried that before I posted. Regardless of how I try to start it, I get the same problem. At this point I have pretty much resigned myself to not playing it unless I go back to a Windows machine. :shock:
AJ Sends

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

Tried to sudo it?

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:18 am

Tuco wrote:Tried to sudo it?
The very first thing I tried.

The thing is that I get the menu up. As soon as I go for one of the options, I get the error message and regardless of what menu option I click on.

It has to be something I am doing, or have done, wrong. :cry:
AJ Sends

Salient

Post by Salient » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:57 pm

You'd think with ubuntu 17 you'd have an up to date java package.

type java -version and see what version of java is on there.

Salient

Post by Salient » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

Someone was having a similar issue to you a few years back, heres what fixed their issue:

Whenever you change MM versions you need to delete the existing .megamek folder because of issues where it tries to keep the symlinks pointing to older versions. This is most likely what happened here.

- 2014-06-09
That's it :)
I've deleted my .megamek folder and all went smoothly.

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:36 am

Salient wrote:You'd think with ubuntu 17 you'd have an up to date java package.

type java -version and see what version of java is on there.
I even went as far as to reinstall java from the latest download but it didn't actually need updating.
AJ Sends

Old_62

Post by Old_62 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 am

Salient wrote:Someone was having a similar issue to you a few years back, heres what fixed their issue:

Whenever you change MM versions you need to delete the existing .megamek folder because of issues where it tries to keep the symlinks pointing to older versions. This is most likely what happened here.

- 2014-06-09
OK, if I ever get around to reinstalling it, I will do exactly this. Thanks. :)
AJ Sends

arlith

Post by arlith » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Salient wrote:Someone was having a similar issue to you a few years back, heres what fixed their issue:

- 2014-06-09
This only matters if you are using the start script in MM. It won't matter if you're running `java -jar MegaMek.jar`. If you are running the jar from the default location within MM, and you're getting an error about the mechset not existing, I would suspect it's either a bogus install, or a bogus release. The mechset file should exist.
Member of the MegaMek Team.