heat sink bug

Issues with the game engine (not campaign)

Moderators: BeeRockxs, Moderators

Jackal

heat sink bug

Post by Jackal » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:00 pm

So had a weird one this morning.

I had a LCT-1L... a mech with TSM and needs to alter it's heat sinks to get up to 9 heat and activate it's extra speed/strength. Normally you set the heat sinks to 0, 1 on the 2nd round and 5 on the 3rd round, running and firing a medium laser every round.

On the 2nd round I was setting the heat sinks to 1 and preparing to run my LCT when I was suddenly disconnected from the DED and the server. When I came back, unbeknownst to me ALL THREE of my other mechs were set to 1 heat sink while my LCT was set to 0!!!

It took me a while to realize what was going on. Most of my units weren't firing, so they didn't overheat. At first I thought I'd just gotten confused and set one of my mechs to 1 heat sink instead of the LCT. But when I realized *everything* was set to 1, that's when I realized there was a bug.

arlith

Re: heat sink bug

Post by arlith » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:08 pm

Did you check your client's log file? Have you tried to reproduce this?
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:44 pm

I've seen this earlier this cycle. Problem, the LCT blew up and there was no way to replicate it with a TSM unit. I thought it possible I had changed the wrong unit, but was almost certain I hadn't.

I heard from Crucis Lancers he had it happen too. I encouraged him to make a bug post.

I don't know if other users had it. Then again, it may not be specific to TSM units, but we would never change the heat sinks on anything but a TSM unit.

arlith

Post by arlith » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:42 am

I had someone else try to reproduce it and they didn't have any luck. I can try to look at the code to see if I notice anything. Having a bug report is useful so the issue doesn't fall off my radar.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Arlith, I looked at the logs and unfortunately they weren't very informative. As far as I could tell they only record how much heat is *sinked,* but they don't record when you change the heat sink settings.

Also, something that might be affecting your ability to reproduce the bug, could be they you need to come up with something to simulate the crash (maybe you've done this). The crash in my case was very severe, I got kicked completely off the server, not just the DED. The steps would be:
  1. set LCT-1L's heat sinks to 0 during deployment
  2. on round 1, immediately set the LCT-1L's heat sinks to 1 (with the intent that there will be 1 functioning heat sink on round 2)
  3. trigger the crash
  4. re-log, pick up where you left off (in my case I'm not sure if I tried to set the heat sinks again or not, you may want to try both options), move the LCT-1L before any other unit
  5. play out the round and see if the heat sinks on any other mechs have been changed on round 2

It's possible that I made a mistake after returning post-crash and set the wrong mech's heat sinks. In fact, that's what I believed had happened.

But the next time I messed with the heat sinks on my LCT-1V (on round 3 to set it to 5 heat sinks, for stable TSM operation) the following round two MORE of my mechs suddenly had their heat sinks set to 0. Mistakes can happen, but the fact that two mechs suddenly were at 1 heat sink when I wasn't even changing any of my mechs to 1 heat sink is just odd.

Subjectively the way this felt was sort of a 'Corsican brothers' situation where what I was doing to one mech was affecting a completely different mech. I'm a pretty careful player. I can see myself mixing up the heat sinks once, but not on several mechs all in the same game.

arlith

Post by arlith » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Sounds like you're looking at the gamelog, but (and the logfile is probably lost by now), but there should be an output log for megamek (and I'm not sure what the MekWars client does with this log). If the MegaMek client crashes, there should be an uncaught exception, which normally gets logged to megameklog.txt in MegaMek's log directory. MekWars may redirect this somewhere else. That log will often tell me why the client crashed.

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:50 pm

megameklog.txt is not touched by MW.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Jackal

Post by Jackal » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:31 am

Arlith,

For future reference, where should I go to find the megameklog.txt file. On the DED? On my computer? Unfortunately I've now lost the LCT-1L, so I don't think I'll be playing with heatsinks anytime soon. But if it does come up, next time I'll be sure to check the log file.

- J

arlith

Post by arlith » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:28 pm

In general, if it's your client crashing, then you want the logfile on your computer, which should be in <megamek>/logs/megameklog.txt. If the server has crashed, then you want the megameklog.txt from the server.

If the server crashes, your client will lose connection with the server, but generally you only notice that as a lack of responsiveness on your client: you click buttons but nothing happens (although the button still animates, and the board still redraws. That client should still seem like it's working, but nothing will appear to happen when you hit buttons). The server can't force your client to crash, only your client can crash on information received from the server.