Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) where?

Just beginning the campaign? Ask your questions here

Moderators: Jackal, Moderators

Post Reply
scorpnoire
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 am

Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) where?

Post by scorpnoire » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:02 pm

As this topic came up here viewtopic.php?f=9&p=58147 a long while ago:
Bloodknight wrote:
Though, as I said earlier, it would be awesome if the PTB made it easier for players to know which optional rules were in effect (and where in the books to look them up).
Good suggestion. This will get a place in the New Players section soon.
...well, maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but where do I find such an overview or list?

Though after about 5 days of searching around in the forums I found several snippets and cluttered parts of information dating back to 2008-2014 I do not know whether they are still applicable or completely outdated yet.
Those information would be especially helpful for new players who, like me, had experience in CBT board game but not in MM or even the advanced and expanded settings here and might help to attract and keep new players, too.

Thank you in advance! =)

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by TigerShark » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:24 pm

scorpnoire wrote:As this topic came up here viewtopic.php?f=9&p=58147 a long while ago:
Bloodknight wrote:
Though, as I said earlier, it would be awesome if the PTB made it easier for players to know which optional rules were in effect (and where in the books to look them up).
Good suggestion. This will get a place in the New Players section soon.
...well, maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but where do I find such an overview or list?

Though after about 5 days of searching around in the forums I found several snippets and cluttered parts of information dating back to 2008-2014 I do not know whether they are still applicable or completely outdated yet.
Those information would be especially helpful for new players who, like me, had experience in CBT board game but not in MM or even the advanced and expanded settings here and might help to attract and keep new players, too.

Thank you in advance! =)
When you enter a Ded during the game, you can always go to the "View" tab in Megamek to view Game Options. The comprehensive list of ALL rules being used are in there. (At least the ones pertaining directly to Megamek. You won't find things like Op. payments, since that's a Mekwars function).

scorpnoire
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by scorpnoire » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Well.. imagine me, as a new guy, starting the MM client and starting browse and probably looking up at least half of more than 50+ settings/rules.. I think if I'm dedicated I can get this done in an hour?

Who in his right mind would wait so long? Or can I enter a DED and see those settings without an opponent/game at hand?
And would this be really the way for new players to get an overview of what differencies they'll have to expect reg. the CBT?
How practical would this be to find out whether one or more rules where changed since my last one hour information drive?

I might be so determined and go through that process but, well.. I'm sure not the majority of new players. And in the age of smombies with an attention span of half a goldfish I think this would not really work out well. So, just suggesting to pin one topic for this and update this now and then might be better for getting new players started.

But thank you for your tip anyhow!
(now just lemme get this hour sceduled... ;))

Spork
Mekwars Developer
Posts: 3895
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Spork » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:06 pm

This would be a wonderful thing to have documented on the Wiki.

If only I had volunteers with free time for the Wiki.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by TigerShark » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Spork wrote:This would be a wonderful thing to have documented on the Wiki.

If only I had volunteers with free time for the Wiki.
I might be able to get to that. It's not much work.

scorpnoire
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by scorpnoire » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:18 am

Yeah, that wiki... too bad for most smaller private projects those are always outdated. :/
I would try to help, too... but I think I first need to get used to the MekWars and get at least some experience before, wouldn't I?

BarukKhazad
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by BarukKhazad » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am

Until you are more familiar with the game options, it will help to do these steps...
- After you accept an attack, you look in the Main channel at the Intel report and see the unit types the enemy has.
- Show your army to your faction and ask for opinions on what to do for ammo and targeting settings.
- Customize your units in your hanger and then join the ded to play.

You might load fragmentation ammo when the other guy has several infantry and infernos when he has all vees... anti-air targeting for vtols, etc. Your faction mates will let you know what they would do.

Customizing your units at this time is something you should always do but asking your faction mates will help you choose and let you know why they would do it.
I had opinions/That didn't matter/I had a brain/That felt like pancake batter
I got a backyard/With nothing in it/Except a stick/A dog/And a box with something in it
The hardest button to button/ /The hardest button to button/ /The hardest button to button

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by TigerShark » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Wiki Post on optional rules turned on for the MMNet campaign:

http://www.mekwars.org/mediawiki-1.20.2 ... ek_Options

Spork
Mekwars Developer
Posts: 3895
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Spork » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:47 pm

TigerShark wrote:Wiki Post on optional rules turned on for the MMNet campaign:

http://www.mekwars.org/mediawiki-1.20.2 ... ek_Options
Thank you, sir
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

scorpnoire
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:47 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by scorpnoire » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you very much! =)

User avatar
Klingon
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 am
Location: Austin, Texas (on assignment from Luthien)

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Klingon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Not sure if this is actually documented anywhere (or even still in effect), but about the only time I found the MM mechanics to diverge from CBT rules was when punching, it was legal to punch different targets (assuming otherwise able to, of course), but MM would only let you punch one target, whether one arm or both.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by TigerShark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Klingon wrote:Not sure if this is actually documented anywhere (or even still in effect), but about the only time I found the MM mechanics to diverge from CBT rules was when punching, it was legal to punch different targets (assuming otherwise able to, of course), but MM would only let you punch one target, whether one arm or both.
There is also another mechanic wherein the defender can choose which cover he's using. It's a really bizarre distinction which the MM developers just abstracted to save time. I wish I could find the post dealing with that...

User avatar
Klingon
Posts: 1144
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:59 am
Location: Austin, Texas (on assignment from Luthien)

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Klingon » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:20 pm

TigerShark wrote:
Klingon wrote:Not sure if this is actually documented anywhere (or even still in effect), but about the only time I found the MM mechanics to diverge from CBT rules was when punching, it was legal to punch different targets (assuming otherwise able to, of course), but MM would only let you punch one target, whether one arm or both.
There is also another mechanic wherein the defender can choose which cover he's using. It's a really bizarre distinction which the MM developers just abstracted to save time. I wish I could find the post dealing with that...
Ah, how it assumes you want the better modifier, even to the point of choosing the rear arc? Yeah, learned to not put trees to my back if it's on the line, there.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by TigerShark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:13 pm

Klingon wrote:
TigerShark wrote:
Klingon wrote:Not sure if this is actually documented anywhere (or even still in effect), but about the only time I found the MM mechanics to diverge from CBT rules was when punching, it was legal to punch different targets (assuming otherwise able to, of course), but MM would only let you punch one target, whether one arm or both.
There is also another mechanic wherein the defender can choose which cover he's using. It's a really bizarre distinction which the MM developers just abstracted to save time. I wish I could find the post dealing with that...
Ah, how it assumes you want the better modifier, even to the point of choosing the rear arc? Yeah, learned to not put trees to my back if it's on the line, there.
Yes, that one. :)

User avatar
Mock26
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Mock26 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:42 am

BarukKhazad wrote:You might load....infernos when he has all vees...
Are there special rules in place covering infernos and vehicles?

User avatar
Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator
Posts: 4134
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 am

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:26 am

Since vehicles are not allowed to keep heat they generate, infernos cause no armor damage but cause automatic critical rolls but at a -2. We only allow infernos in SRM 2s lest the server become a dance of "overheat and murder."

Larger tube srms will score crits pretty regularly vs vees ifnyoy can hit the side. 2s are nice in volume. Killing vees is usually a game of patience or timing. Either the patience to wear them down at range, and not close where they can bring unsurvivable firepower to bear, or to time a rush to kicking distance if they are set for ranged combat.

Often, vee forces hinge on a key unit. A demolisher that covers the ranged units. An ace gunner to allow the brawlers to close. Many tank forces cover with infantry, so some flak, flechette, or fragmentation ammo in your autocannons and missile launchers is useful.

I've run into unstoppable tank forces, but not often. Usually the wrong terrain or wrong opponent comes up and the vees die.

I've had some vehicle hunting forces. CTF-4X are wonderful for this. Anything that can survive some rounds of exchanging fire and load specialty ammo to whack fast vees, vtols and infantry.

User avatar
Mock26
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:18 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Current MM rules set (especially deviating from CBT) whe

Post by Mock26 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:57 am

Nastyogre wrote:Since vehicles are not allowed to keep heat they generate, infernos cause no armor damage but cause automatic critical rolls but at a -2. We only allow infernos in SRM 2s lest the server become a dance of "overheat and murder."

Larger tube srms will score crits pretty regularly vs vees ifnyoy can hit the side. 2s are nice in volume. Killing vees is usually a game of patience or timing. Either the patience to wear them down at range, and not close where they can bring unsurvivable firepower to bear, or to time a rush to kicking distance if they are set for ranged combat.

Often, vee forces hinge on a key unit. A demolisher that covers the ranged units. An ace gunner to allow the brawlers to close. Many tank forces cover with infantry, so some flak, flechette, or fragmentation ammo in your autocannons and missile launchers is useful.

I've run into unstoppable tank forces, but not often. Usually the wrong terrain or wrong opponent comes up and the vees die.

I've had some vehicle hunting forces. CTF-4X are wonderful for this. Anything that can survive some rounds of exchanging fire and load specialty ammo to whack fast vees, vtols and infantry.
Cool, thank you. I had figured that with fires being turned off that vehicles were not affected by inferno rounds. I will have to reconsider my munition loads.

Post Reply