Mixed Unit, and Non-Mixed Unit Ops.

Post here your ideas for the campaign settings

Moderator: Moderators

Badfinger

Mixed Unit, and Non-Mixed Unit Ops.

Post by Badfinger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:16 am

- a short description of the desired addition or change
I am proposing the addition of Ops that are specific to mixed unit armies, and Non-mixed unit armies. For example, ops that require only mechs, or only tanks.

- a "statement of expectation." What the suggestor thinks will be the end result of implementation.

Ideally, this would allow players who prefer not to play against mixed unit forces to play against players who have the same preference, and vice-versa. Ideally it would put an end to having to deal with trick armies, IDF, and other meta-game tactics which depend on putting another player at a disadvantage before the fight. Traditional ops would still be available.

- a point by point discussion of WHY the change would have the expected impact.

Is pretty self-explanatory. If someone's hanger contents only let them build for a 4 mech lance, or a mixed unit force, they would have options that would allow them to face a (more) similar force. Rewards could be adjusted to encourage unlimited ops vs the new limited ones and still allow for a wide variety of play on a more even playfield. This would also have the effect of not alienating new players as they would have the ability more closely match their opposing forces.

- a point by point discussion of things that could go wrong with the change and how they might be avoided.

It might be a little more complicated to build for ops, and it may reduce the number of available games at any one time. However, that may be balanced out by more players being active, and a reduction in overall average game length.

- an honest disclosure of how much the feature matters to a person.

For me...personally, this has been my issue with this server for well over a decade and a half. Would love to see it implemented, I know, I for one, would be a more frequent player.

Chaser

Re: Mixed Unit, and Non-Mixed Unit Ops.

Post by Chaser » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:20 am

We had that for a few cycles it did not change anything fundamentally.

Badfinger

Post by Badfinger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Chaser wrote:We had that for a few cycles it did not change anything fundamentally.
Good. I'm not looking for fundamental change. What I am looking for is a more balanced and friendly playing environment.

If you had a system where the ops were organized correctly, you could accommodate all play styles. For example....

Start with Mech Only ops.

Adding a vee opens up Mixed unit ops

no mechs opens up vee only ops.

to my knowledge it's never been implemented in quite that way. All though I'll admit, I haven't played every cycle.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm

This would require defender limitations, which then will lead to free flu farming and avoiding games. You'd have to address more than just army construction rules with that suggestion. Ultimately major campaign and economy design changes.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm

If the player population were say 5 times what it is currently, this would be viable as you would see enough people of all persuasions to allow for it.
As it sits, with maybe 80-100 total players by the end of a cycle, there would be long periods where such specialized armies (except for all mech forces) would sit with nobody to play.

I want people to play and have fun in the manner that they like. This is a competitive campaign however. So some of that choice is taken away for the sake of the competition. We aren't a matchmaking service for megamek, we are a mekwars campaign. Thus we look to emulate "wars" between the 6 factions. (Though we aren't using them all currently) Mechs, tanks, hovers, Vtols and infantry. We exclude Aero (except Aero on Aero) due to the competition imbalance and poor rules implementation.

I'd love to see more diverse operations but it becomes very confusing to players when we had it. I received many complaints concerning being able to attack with certain kinds of ops or finding games. Simpler has proven to be more readily accepted and probably, better, qualitatively, by that measure.