Ground with aero AFR Task option

Post here your ideas for the campaign settings

Moderator: Moderators

pcmcp

Ground with aero AFR Task option

Post by pcmcp » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 am

Ground Forces with Aero but AFR only.

Would need conventional aeros adding and an operation adding discuss.
Last edited by pcmcp on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saint

Re: Ground with aero AFR Task option

Post by Saint » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:59 am

Eww. Aero on ground was one of the reasons I left this server and game last time.

Aero in space is cheap, fast, and often fun. The space aero AFR op, Blackwater Navy, is not cheap, but still fast and fun.

Aero on ground would not be cheap, would not be fast, and absolutely is not fun. Not to mention that I believe the powers that be have said aero on ground would never happen here again.
it ain't no taint to be the Saint

pcmcp

Post by pcmcp » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Is AFR, players choice, no one forced into doing anything they don't want.......

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 pm

If you guys really want to, we can make the operation. If I were to propose it to the Council I would go with this..

My thought is that we make an "anything goes" ground op. No restrictions on anything.

Land Exchange would be almost non-existent. BWN automatically risks a very expensive unit. So some exchange is reasonable. Aero is specialized enough it will ward off most new or inexperienced players. Payout also terrible. Probably restrict the operation to non-factory, non-capital worlds.
An "anything goes" op might not. Super-ops have been used to noob hunt in the past. Or by very weak players to try and build up their RP and cbills to maintain their hangars.
Basically to ensure the operation isn't used to victimize players or as an alternative to blinding. Sure you can play it. But it will bankrupt you if you do it consistently.

I have alot more interest in developing our economy, alternative victory condition operations and bringing back Solaris over an AFR Aero-Ground op.

One thing though. Aero-Ground has been specifically stated by Spork as one thing he will not allow. Full Stop. So you have to convince him. The Council is given pretty broad powers, but we have only what the staff grants us and if the All-Spork says no, there is no appeal.

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:35 pm

The way aeros move in ground combat (I have only played them vs. a bot) is retarded. I don't use that word lightly and it fits perfectly as to retard something is to slow that thing down. Like a parachute retarding a skydiver. Also the way air units that are not VTOLs move is just... retarded.

Aero (or conventional fighters) in ground combat have lots and lots of movement points are is hard compared to vees or meks to see a good spot for at a glance, and their movement usually needs to be drafted out on the map... and sometimes you make a mistake or want to try to get to a better spot and have to start all over again by clearing out the whole movement path and starting over from the first hex. Slow process. Multiple air units compound the retarding effect on the flow of the game. To some people this trade, tactics for time, is not a good one.

Aeros also have too much armour for how safe they can get with so many movement points. Something small with a spread of medium and light lasers is alright. Something with an AC/20 is not so much. Very frustrating to play against.

All that being said, I don't see any reason why not. Like the Blackwater Navy operations, something that players are not forced into but provides a different experience from regular ground combat can only be a positive addition to campaign and sever as a whole.

Chaser

Post by Chaser » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Been there done that NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Even if it was only AFR not worth the effort to create the opp.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:03 pm

AFAIK Spork will Veto this :)

I think it would be interesting to have offboard aeros as support unit option, like minefields or artillery. For example set number of strafe attacks per operation and side, and have the strafe units defined in server config like the artillery units are.
But that would require new Code.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Kat

Post by Kat » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Seeing as I'd very likely not play, my opinion doesn't count, but making it AFR-only is a good step.
Tuco wrote:I think it would be interesting to have offboard aeros as support unit option, like minefields or artillery. For example set number of strafe attacks per operation and side, and have the strafe units defined in server config like the artillery units are.
But that would require new Code.
This, on the other hand, sounds pretty damn interesting. Battle of Coventry http://www.sarna.net/wiki/The_Battle_of ... ario_pack) had that option on various of the scenarios, for the commander to have access to arty and bombing or strafing missions.
Kat - Nope!

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:41 pm

We've wanted a way to purchAse and use pegboard support for a while. Code is the hurdle.

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:45 am

What about making strafing/bombing runs cost some BV and money? Like a one use unit that you bring onto the field but don't deploy with? I donno.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Dwight Derringer wrote:What about making strafing/bombing runs cost some BV and money? Like a one use unit that you bring onto the field but don't deploy with? I donno.
I think that is the idea. At the very least it would be something that could be in operations like mines and artillery. Purchasing it would be even better frankly.

Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator

Post by Bloodknight » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 pm

Can MM do strafing now? Or bombing?
If yes I implore you to try that out first in a safe environment before implementing that because bombs are very effective.

SLDF_Gunslinger
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by SLDF_Gunslinger » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 am

The new Battletech Manual Beta that is out in PDF form has rules for 'Battlefield Support" (Pg 75) that covers stuff like this. Essentially, each player has a set number of 'support points' per game that they can spend on Arty, Mine Fields, Offensive Aero Support (Bombing or Strafing) and Light and Heavy Defensive Air Cover (to counter said bombing or strafing). This would be an incredible enhancement to MM once it is eventually coded because it eliminates the need for Aero on Ground and/or Arty mechs and vehicles. I think the pdf is only $5-10 and well worth picking up even if it is currently in Beta form.

Dwight Derringer

Post by Dwight Derringer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:19 am

SLDF_Gunslinger wrote:The new Battletech Manual Beta that is out in PDF form has rules for 'Battlefield Support" (Pg 75) that covers stuff like this. Essentially, each player has a set number of 'support points' per game that they can spend on Arty, Mine Fields, Offensive Aero Support (Bombing or Strafing) and Light and Heavy Defensive Air Cover (to counter said bombing or strafing). This would be an incredible enhancement to MM once it is eventually coded because it eliminates the need for Aero on Ground and/or Arty mechs and vehicles. I think the pdf is only $5-10 and well worth picking up even if it is currently in Beta form.
I'm 90% sure that the BT beta .pdf is free! At least it was. I heard that it was being freely distributed to hype up the video game that is coming out.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:33 am

Bloodknight wrote:Can MM do strafing now? Or bombing?
If yes I implore you to try that out first in a safe environment before implementing that because bombs are very effective.
Yes. And yes. But not as off-board activity. Strafing is +4 to-hit and can only fire laser weapons across a 5-hex path.

Example:

4 (Gunnery) + 4 (Strafing) + 2 (target moved 5 hexes) = 10

Kat

Post by Kat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:21 am

Dwight Derringer wrote:I'm 90% sure that the BT beta .pdf is free! At least it was. I heard that it was being freely distributed to hype up the video game that is coming out.
Sadly, this is not the case. It's $5. For beta rules. That seems so stupid.
Kat - Nope!

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:22 am

Kat wrote:
Dwight Derringer wrote:I'm 90% sure that the BT beta .pdf is free! At least it was. I heard that it was being freely distributed to hype up the video game that is coming out.
Sadly, this is not the case. It's $5. For beta rules. That seems so stupid.
Hey, buddy. You gotta PAY for the privilege of editing THIS material!