Remove Ejected Pilots

Post here your ideas for the campaign settings

Moderator: Moderators

Ceorl

Remove Ejected Pilots

Post by Ceorl » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Weapons fire for Vehicle Crew Sultan of Timor Angora (Ceorl)

Auto-Rifle (Modern, Generic) at Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Jacek Gramlowski); needs 6, rolls 7 : 1 troopers hit (using Left Side table), causing 1 damage.

Saracen Medium Hover Tank (Standard) (Jacek Gramlowski) takes 1 damage to LS.
19 Armor remaining.
Chance for motive system damage. Roll is 10; (w/ +2 bonus)
Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, 1/2 MP.
This is potentially game changing damage from a destroyed unit firing the game equivalent of spitwads. I'd recommend removing them as their ability to influence a game is all of out proportion to their design and power.

Additionally, the game isn't properly recording their deaths. I watched that crew get blown away for that 1/2 mp damage yet the AAR said:
You recovered your Gladius Medium Hover Tank (Standard). The crew survived. . Sultan of Timor Angora gained 46 XP
(Retired)

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Re: Remove Ejected Pilots

Post by Nastyogre » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:31 pm

We have had cycle with and without pilots and crews on the field. I've never seen much point. With so many people playing with Autoeject off because leveled pilots are something of a hindrance and that we very much have to "play with what we get" pilot deaths and replacements are preferred.

It's not very realistic I guess, if the pilot is alive, they should be a target I suppose.

I would agree that they have at least a small potential for game impact. They are 0 BV however. Which doesn't seem very appropriate.

I've taken to just killing them.

Sadistic

Post by Sadistic » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Under most conditions they survive even if killed on the ground, though I did have one picked up by an enemy unit who died when I destroyed it.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 am

Ceorl wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm
[

Additionally, the game isn't properly recording their deaths. I watched that crew get blown away for that 1/2 mp damage yet the AAR said:
You recovered your Gladius Medium Hover Tank (Standard). The crew survived. . Sultan of Timor Angora gained 46 XP
I always knew Ceorl was a powerful necromancer with an army of undead vehicle crew

Ceorl

Post by Ceorl » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 pm

It was a 4/4 so I'd prefer them to have stayed dead.
It's not very realistic I guess, if the pilot is alive, they should be a target I suppose
While the idea itself is stretching even this game's plausibility, the question is whether the mechanic is fun. Destroying a unit only to watch its pilot disable an enemy, or even worse TAC a mek, is just not enjoyable. Battltech the Game has rightly moved away from RNG heavy results to acclaim and this sever would be wise to follow suite.
(Retired)

Sadistic

Post by Sadistic » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 am

Looks like killing them works right at least some of the time.

You recovered your HER-1A. Tai-i Danno Kurosawa ejected, but was killed on the ground. New Pilot: Gunsho Keiko Takashi [4/5] New Pilot: Gunsho Keiko Takashi [4/5]