OMG artillery during Strategic Invasion

Issues with the campaign environment

Moderator: Moderators

Stereg

OMG artillery during Strategic Invasion

Post by Stereg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:31 am

As the title states, I have played multiple Strategic Invasions this cycle, and every game I've had my artillery units come up as Error-OMG-UR-FD units in the ded lobby. Screencap attached here

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Re: OMG artillery during Strategic Invasion

Post by Tuco » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Only one other player had this problem, so it must be the unit files/images on your end. Have you tried to manually update your client and get the mechset from here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9982 ?
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:48 pm

I am also having this same issue. Completed a full reinstall, manual update, followed the directions in the link provided. Made multiple attempts at a game throughout these steps, nothing worked.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:38 pm

Demoted Empty Seven until a resolution found. Verified with him that he reloaded the client and then copied in the mechset.txt.
[10:30] Empty Seven [LC]: I even went so far as to visually verify that the links in mechset.txt are correct to the sniper and thumper units. they are

To prevent unplayable games. Granted demotion. Instructed to re-promote self once a resolution is found as this is a temporary solution to avoid unplayable games.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Demotion does not prevent participation in Strategic Invasion. Legal armies are still eligible. Other high level ops are restricted by sub-faction. Players have asked if this is intended? Should SI be restricted to Frontline Commanders?

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 pm

No, everyone should be able to play conquers.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Regarding crash, this problem looks like the same we had before the last major update, and which forced us to update initially before resetting. Back then it was an AWT Interface related crash.

I'd need to know what Look-And-Feel or Skins the affected players are using.

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Plastic XP

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm

Have you tried to hit mekwarsautoupdate.jar and get another update?
When you change to Skins -> mmMagra, does it still happen?

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 pm

Tuco wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 pm
No, everyone should be able to play conquers.
Thank you. Our misunderstanding. The op viewer shows Faction but not sufaction restriction so I wasn't positive of the answer.

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 pm

Tuco wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm
Have you tried to hit mekwarsautoupdate.jar and get another update?
When you change to Skins -> mmMagra, does it still happen?
Ok, I don't even have mmMagra as an option.

I'm a bit confused. Are we talking about the OMG-UR-FD arty or something else? I'm not having a crashing issue (I had one earlier this week, that I resolved by updating Java).

But yes, I have run mekwarsautoupdate.jar three times. copied over the mechset.txt, and even visually verified the links were correct in the file.

Tried it both with and without manually copying over the mechset.txt... neither worked.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 pm

As an announcement and warning.

Players that cannot properly utilize an operation should not play that operation at all. Neither on attack nor defense. If they are attacked the attack should be accepted and then the operation cancelled allowing the attacker to launch an operation that can be properly defended. If these players use it as an attack, it should be cancelled, and a different operation launched, though they should not be launching it and should know better. This is my ruling as a moderator.

Should this continue to occur refer to this thread. I choose not to investigate if a manifesto violation occurred. They may appeal if they choose to. Such an appeal goes to an admin and they may review the entirety of the situation, including if a manifesto violation occured.

If, after reviewing this thread the players refuse to follow my instructions it will count as refusing a direct order from staff. Such actions and attitudes are not received well.

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 am

Nastyogre wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Players that cannot properly utilize an operation should not play that operation at all. Neither on attack nor defense. If they are attacked the attack should be accepted and then the operation cancelled allowing the attacker to launch an operation that can be properly defended. If these players use it as an attack, it should be cancelled, and a different operation launched, though they should not be launching it and should know better. This is my ruling as a moderator.

Should this continue to occur refer to this thread. I choose not to investigate if a manifesto violation occurred. They may appeal if they choose to. Such an appeal goes to an admin and they may review the entirety of the situation, including if a manifesto violation occured.

If, after reviewing this thread the players refuse to follow my instructions it will count as refusing a direct order from staff. Such actions and attitudes are not received well.

If this was something I did, it was unintentional. We tried to launch several games to test this out yesterday, but any that were unsuccessful in loading the arty we canceled.

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Seems I am missing data/mechfiles/artillery
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (267.43 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:20 pm

Empty Seven wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:03 am
Nastyogre wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:10 pm

If this was something I did, it was unintentional. We tried to launch several games to test this out yesterday, but any that were unsuccessful in loading the arty we canceled.
No Empty Seven, I do not think you were intentionally using your file probelm to your advantage, if I suspected that, I certainly would have started didgging.

The warning was as much for any other player that found a similar problem. These have been and are players who might do such a thing.

I applaud you efforts.

If that doesn't work. I am not sure why you would be missing that file. Perhaps a clea, install to a fresh directory? See if the file is there? I wonder if the current version is missing the file and because the updater over writes files and leaves most files that do not need updating alone, perhaps the problem is the new installm

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm posting the files here until we next update, which will distribute the files.
Attachments
artillery.zip
Place in /data/mechfiles and unzip.
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks guys. I have done a clean install, tried to manually update multiple times. I have no idea why it would single me out to not have the artillery file. But, hopefully you do.

Hope this has helped. I'll try and manually place the files and see if that works when I get home in a bit.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:28 am

I've observed in some players that the problem seems to come back. im using an old client, presumably with all the files, so i have no such issue

Justin Xiang

Post by Justin Xiang » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:00 am

This problem still exists. I downloaded newest client off the webpage and had it.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Files are still attached here, Spork will integrate them eventually when he has time.