Observations and test results for aero and idf.

Topics related to the game engine (not campaign)

Moderators: BeeRockxs, Moderators

Coop

Observations and test results for aero and idf.

Post by Coop » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:52 am

I wanted to test the ability for aero to spot for idf and overall effects with hover, normal movement and overdrive.

In my test game i noticed that the aero while hovering did not generate the usual +1 for movement even though page 220 of strat ops lists aero having to spend thrust points to hover.

Equally no modifier was generated for normal thrust or overdrive while in my belief there should have been even though it is regarded that the only units movement modifier that can be disregarded are infantry.

My final observation was that my aero could spot at higher levels than 9 and they should not be able to.

Vtols used for the same purpose such as the karnov for example still generate the +1 for idf and their generated movement modifiers.

My conclusion: No +1 for movement modifier for spotting aeros + idf lrm units extremely overpowered if not completely broken.

Im really annoyed if this is how it was intended to be and really hope this is not the case.

Rushvin
Former MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Rushvin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:46 am

as per page 111 of Total War.

Indirect fire
All standard modifiers for attackers movement and a modifier for the spotter's movement (Infantry have no attack movement modifier for spotting)
-Aero have no movement modifier for their own movement unless they overthrust, therefore there is none for their movement unless they overthrust.

a friendly unit must have a valid line of sight to the target (this unit is referred to as the spotter).
-It does not state the unit has to be able to attack the target just see it.

Yes Aero have all the advantages you didn't like them having doing what they do. The rules do not list an exemption for Aero doing this just labeling unit.

Coop

Post by Coop » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 am

Rushvin wrote:as per page 111 of Total War.

Indirect fire
All standard modifiers for attackers movement and a modifier for the spotter's movement (Infantry have no attack movement modifier for spotting)
-Aero have no movement modifier for their own movement unless they overthrust, therefore there is none for their movement unless they overthrust.

a friendly unit must have a valid line of sight to the target (this unit is referred to as the spotter).

Yes Aero have all the advantages you didn't like them having doing what they do. The rules do not list an exemption for Aero doing this just labeling unit.
well then 1 part is broke cos there no mod for overthrust while spotting from wot i tested.

Coop

Post by Coop » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 am

Rushvin wrote:as per page 111 of Total War.

Indirect fire

ok fine its in the book printed and all legal like but its the lamest rule ever. i know in strat ops cant mem which page off hand there is a mention of aereo not being able to spot without spotter camera. and even still that ruling u quoted proves how utterly broken aero are.