Current cycle feedback

Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

Illician Lancers

Re: Current cycle feedback

Post by Illician Lancers » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 am

I just feel like OP. I agree with him in his good and bad points about this cycle and I was trying until a couple of weeks ago that I definitely give up all together. I even defeated to FS from DC to find games and in 2 weeks in FS only play 1 game so I stop enjoying this all together. The bad points out weight the good ones by a big difference. I was one of the players that normally play a lot and contribute playing many SOL games to help new players i cannot even play SOL games anymore because vees aren't aloud and then i don't have units to match the low bv of the SOL players another negative point for the cycle. Maybe I will come back in the future if the cycle change in a more positive way. Another thing that I miss is the variety in the hangars to made 6 armies in different bv ranges and have easy access to games. Now you can sit for weeks no having a single game ever. Another thing i will get rip off is smoke. Seriously what is that about of playing cities or Heavy forest maps and put the dawn map 50% on fire between the ones you provoke and the spread of the fires and then you have smoke in 75% of the map who enjoy that, no seriously who?

That is how I feel about this cycle true the admin have a couple of good changes ( flu out and standards planet terrain) but the rest under my point of view are very negative ones making the life of the players harder and boring instead of easy and enjoyable.

Kveldulf

Post by Kveldulf » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Personally, my wishlist for a new cycle would be fairly simple (beyond and in addition to moving away from bv spread as stated in my suggestions thread).
No requirements for defecting out of SOL. Sorry, but there are enough players around that have been around that SOL should be an option and not a requirement. This is no longer the feeding server for a couple other more advanced tougher servers, it is now the only server with a stable online population.
Starting hanger: 2-3 lights 4-5 mediums 2-3 heavies 1 assault. Combined with no requirements to buying heavies and assaults. This allows those of us that have been playing for a while to get to use the big toys when we want to, and it allows new players to not be at even more of a disadvantage to a veteran because they don't even have access to those units. Additionally, task balance should be focused on the medium and heavy classes, that is where most games should be taking place and those are the weight classes that should be making up the majority of most players hangers.

A tougher economy is all well and good. But remember, a player that loses more games than they win should still be able to play and have fun without having to beg for units or restart their account, otherwise they are more likely to call it quits and walk away.
Unfortunately I have not been able to play enough of this cycle to know how close to that line things are set up currently, because the random units I was handed in SOL could not even be put into a legal lance in order to get a game due to BV spread. I am not about to jump through hoops on the server in order to get different SOL units, I'd rather see things changed so that those hoops are not necessary now or in the future, until then I will spend my play time elsewhere where I am actually able to use the mechs I want to, at the weights I want to.

Vector

Post by Vector » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:37 pm

I feel like I should talk about my experiences with the small hangar size. I came back to playing on this server after being away for many years just as this cycle started. Early in the cycle, I only kept mechs that were light or low-bv medium. I played a lot of games and built my hangar size up with exp. I eventually progressed to using both lights and any mediums, and now at 3766 exp I'm using lights, mediums, and heavies. I have 6 lances built that range in BV from 2810 to 5781, all with 4 units. At every stage of the cycle I've mixed vehicles in, partially for firepower but mostly because they use only half as many bays as a mech in the same weight class. I've retained infantry almost the entire cycle to help round-out lances. Throughout all this I've only occasionally used lances of less than 4 units.

What I'm saying is, I was able to adapt to the small hangar size in a reliable way. It hasn't felt like a problem, although it has been pretty grindy. I probably wouldn't want to play another cycle with this much of a grind where I can only slowly progress through the weight classes.

However, 2-unit lances are far more of a problem to me. The fights often end up being wildly imbalanced because my lance was built to fight against a completely different class of unit, and aren't fun to play.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:55 am

I have just played my first two campaign games, and I am seeing a problem with the current settings.

I won both games without losses. I salvaged one medium mech in the first game and one light mech in the second. I also bought one medium mech from the BM for slightly over 3K before playing either of the games.

I had to buy 3 bays to accommodate the salvage for my second game. I am currently left with about 300 cbills. Since there is no mechanism to scrap or donate this cycle, I could literally screw myself over if my won my next game without casualties, with salvage. What happens if i go into negative bays because i have no cash to buy more bays?

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:29 am

You can play with -99 bays, and later in the game will be able to sell units on BM. And you can use RP to repair your units to save CBills for bays.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 am

You earned 1 experience RP[Use RP]
You defeated XXX on Solaris VII (Aero - Air Raid). You've stopped production on Solaris VII for 56 miniticks, destroyed 2 units [COM-2D, FS9-H] and destroyed 137440 Heavy Mek components. The Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 survived the battle. Cp. Ambrose "Striker" Zavarjelos gained 47 XP. The Hellcat HCT-213 survived the battle. Cpt. Athene "Lost" Pallis gained 47 XP. The Riever F-100 survived the battle. Force Cmd. Calandra "Skydive" Valaortis gained 47 XP. Your new Rating is 1607.82 (+4.08) Net Pay: +6,081 CBills (Gross Pay: +6,081 CBills) You earned 37XP and 4 RP. [Use RP]

The payoff seems rather high both in terms of RP and cbills for aero-raid. Not sure if intended because its a no land exchange op

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you for posting this. All is working as intended and maybe it's worth to play Aero Games :wink:
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

Kawira

Post by Kawira » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 pm

Well I played a bit of "warm-up" before cycle started and honestly didn't like a single change so I skip whole cycle

1. Less planets are not fun if you are not confident in going vs hard vets
2. I don't like small and very limited hangars, especially in early. Personally i prefer lances mixed of med and heavy mechs, so being stuck with lights is not fun
3. DB is imo essential to keep high level of tactics

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Uhm… everything you mention is not the case anymore?

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm afraid Tuco is right. (I hate agreeing with him too, my plan was to be that counter-voice)
Lots of planets.
Hangars aren't small or limited. Unit cycling is because you can't scrap and donate until you get the 8 different units you want to play with.
DB is back.

Frankly, I LOVE the economy the way it works. I only wish badly damaged units could be scrapped. Like "red" in the hangar. That's the only thing I'd like to see different.

OK, 20+ ops is a little confusing, but heck you can't play most of them for some time. Once you get there, take 15 minutes and use the op viewer to figure them out. These ops and setting go back to 10 years ago. Most of us were around back then so we should have a vague idea what is going on.

So, come back and play some OLD SCHOOL Mekwars. If you are on in the US evenings I'd be happy to Ogrestomp I mean play you. If I'm on and can play. I do tend to Lurk. As silly mod types are supposed to.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 pm

For what its worth, i'm enjoying the latest cycle as well. Even though it is a bit grindy to get the 1k xp to play assaults..

Kawira

Post by Kawira » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:01 am

Cool I'm happy with reverts. Gonna log in somewhere this weekend.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:02 am

Arranged an Aero game:

#1 Vector[FS] is attempting an Aero - Orbital Operation on Denebola (Units: 3 Aero / BV: 3445). obese pigeon[FWL] is defending (Units: 3 Aero / BV: 3456)

You've lost 35 points of Denebola The Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 survived the battle and advanced a level. Cp. Ambrose "Striker" Zavarjelos is now 4/4 [Old BV: 637/New BV: 733]. The Riever F-100 survived the battle. Force Cmd. Calandra "Skydive" Valaortis gained 113 XP. Your Hellcat HCT-213 was utterly destroyed . Cpt. Athene "Lost" Pallis gained 113 XPCpt. Athene "Lost" Pallis hiked back to base after fleeing his Hellcat HCT-213.

Your new Rating is 1647.88 (-3.73) Net Pay: +316 CBills (Gross Pay: +319 CBills, Bay Rental: -3 CBills)
You earned 50 Influence, 90XP and 7 RP. [Use RP]

The cbill payout and land exchange look odd. The RP is 7 as well, is that intended?

Vector

Post by Vector » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:07 am

obese pigeon wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:02 am
Arranged an Aero game:

#1 Vector[FS] is attempting an Aero - Orbital Operation on Denebola (Units: 3 Aero / BV: 3445). obese pigeon[FWL] is defending (Units: 3 Aero / BV: 3456)

You've lost 35 points of Denebola The Sparrowhawk SPR-H5 survived the battle and advanced a level. Cp. Ambrose "Striker" Zavarjelos is now 4/4 [Old BV: 637/New BV: 733]. The Riever F-100 survived the battle. Force Cmd. Calandra "Skydive" Valaortis gained 113 XP. Your Hellcat HCT-213 was utterly destroyed . Cpt. Athene "Lost" Pallis gained 113 XPCpt. Athene "Lost" Pallis hiked back to base after fleeing his Hellcat HCT-213.

Your new Rating is 1647.88 (-3.73) Net Pay: +316 CBills (Gross Pay: +319 CBills, Bay Rental: -3 CBills)
You earned 50 Influence, 90XP and 7 RP. [Use RP]

The cbill payout and land exchange look odd. The RP is 7 as well, is that intended?
Appending my own information per OP's request:

You are on your way to Denebola (Aero - Orbital Operation, -250cbs, -100flu).

You defeated obese pigeon[FWL] on Denebola (Aero - Orbital Operation).
You've gained 35 points of Denebola
The Transgressor TR-13 survived the battle. Subaltern Ilya Stefanovic gained 113 XP.
The Swift SWF-606 survived the battle. Captain Stephanie "Mean Baby" Peterson gained 113 XP.
The Lightning LTN-G15 survived the battle and advanced a level. Major John H. Watson is now 4/4 [Old BV: 1075/New BV: 1236]. Earned 1 kill.
obese pigeon's Hellcat HCT-213 was utterly destroyed. The pilot survived.
Your new Rating is 1678.67 (+3.73)
Net Pay: +1,406 CBills (Gross Pay: +1,524 CBills, Bay Rental: -118 CBills)
You earned 90XP and 9 RP. [Use RP]

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 am

Due to a problem with coding, Aeros don't need to be repaired, so low chill payout is justifiable. RP is the main reward. The higher level ops are the way to take planets. The low level stuff is to develop and play

Vector

Post by Vector » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:22 am

Nastyogre wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:13 am
The higher level ops are the way to take planets. The low level stuff is to develop and play
Yeah but a Strategic Invasion would be like 7 points while the Orbital was 35, and the Orbital had lower requirements.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:10 am

So I think the ops sort of have 4 tiers. Patrol & air raid are lvl 1. Strategic invasion in the next level. Is orbital the next one up?

If it's the tier 3 op? That much land would be appropriate. Review the OP viewer.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:35 am

Strategic invasion seems to have small maps, and i had 3 tubes of Arty at 5.5k bv, 2 snipers and 1 thumper, is that correct?

The amount of arty seems a bit high for the bv

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 am

It's right.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm

I really need to start using RP to repair nearly slagged units. I snatched Victory from the jaws of defeat. I keep getting an error using the log analyzer.

Anyway, 5000 cbills to repair another 1000 for more techs. (Who seem to retire much more often, is that intended? Literally 6 or 8 vet level techs after this last game)

Less than 2000 chills. -4 bays. I keep salvaging mediums. I have 11 or 12 now. At this rate I'm going to have to load infernos and Alpha strike for 5 rounds. With my luck lately, I'd win because of it. NOT blow up, and salvage 2 more mediums.

I don't win every game. But I rarely lose a unit.

I still like the cycle.

Perhaps we could buy bays with RP?

Vector

Post by Vector » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Nastyogre wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:06 pm
Anyway, 5000 cbills to repair another 1000 for more techs. (Who seem to retire much more often, is that intended? Literally 6 or 8 vet level techs after this last game)
There's definitely something weird going on with techs, I have green techs promote even if I don't use them and Sadistic reported the same thing here.

Ceorl

Post by Ceorl » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 pm

This has to be the best example of min-maxing I've seen this cycle. A Grand Dragon, 1300 bv, gets paired with a Packrat SRM2, 250 bv. I didn't think that could be possible but there you go.
(Retired)

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:15 am

Ceorl wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 pm
This has to be the best example of min-maxing I've seen this cycle. A Grand Dragon, 1300 bv, gets paired with a Packrat SRM2, 250 bv. I didn't think that could be possible but there you go.
While it is intimidating to see a Grand Dragon at say... 3K bv, min-maxed lances usually have their own vulnerabilities

1) Killing the min - in this case the packrat. You can quickly establish a numbers advantage by killing the usually vulnerable min. Without front-loaded init, this works out great.

2) the 'max' is just as vulnerable to RNG as any other unit. If the grand dragon ate an unlucky gyro tac, for example, thats probably 1/3 to half your opponent's bv down the drain.

Challenging but not unbeatable imo. IIRC I fought and beat such a lance early in this cycle (Dragon + packrat), although i can't recall who i was playing against. I took the killing the min route FYI.

Not meaning to downplay your feedback, and i agree that min-max can be tough to handle, but its not broken like some of the other stuff has the potential to be.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 am

Anyway, since Ceorl brought up the issue for min-maxing, I have some feedback regarding bv spread or lack thereof.

This is the first cycle that i've played which did not have bv spread. IMO the positives outweigh the benefits in my opinion. Previously I would always encounter the issue where the units at the extremes of bv are basically not use-able. STG-3Rs are donate and scrap fodder. Something like a Pillager would be hard to fit into a lance as well.

This cycle i find myself using low bv mechs like WSP and STGs more often, which I appreciate. Also, I don't quite get why BV spread was implemented in the first place. Is it wrong for a lance containing an assault mech to have a ultra light scouting element? I'm not sure about the historical context for the implementation of BV spread but i'm curious to know.

A terribly min-maxed lance is not that effective anyway, am i wrong since i don't have experience fighting something like that? For example, AWS or fatlas with 3 lights, i can't see that doing well. Its terribly boring to play too. Something like 3 assaults and 1 scouting light isn't necessarily unbeatable either correct?

Its on a different level to real broken stuff like say.. Aero on ground, mHQs, Arrow IV and TAG spam, or attacking in a city world with mass infantry and IDF for example

Vector

Post by Vector » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 am

obese pigeon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 am
mHQs
There's a Daimyo HQ on the DC medium vehicle build table.