Things I love:
- more focused map – I really think this is a great innovation, there was just no need for 3000+ planets. I think we're likely to see more meaningful movement on the map, and target selections will be MUCH easier than before.
- all six factions – it's nice to see every faction back in the game. I also suspect this will make it easier to get a fight once people start building up their hangars
- same terrains on all planets - puts attacker and defender on more even footing because neither side knows which terrain is going to be pulled. Great solution to the longstanding 'no one wants to defend' issue.
- starting units - I love that we start out with a handful of lights and mediums and have to work our way up from there
Good but needs tweaking:
- hangars – I like the general concept of the tighter hangar situation, and gaining hangars only from XP, but it's a little TOO tight in the current setup.
- it's made matchmaking pretty difficult – with 7 mechs a negative bays I can only field one lance and it usually doesn't encounter anything. I've had to arrange all my fights and, even then, I can't always come up with a match
- I also wonder how this will work late in the campaign when long-time players can cherry pick, but newcomers can't.
- Both of the above could be solved just by having a few more starting bays. I think if every player had a minimum of 35 bays (enough to handle 5 lights and 5 mediums) this system would be AWESOME.
- tighter economy – I like the tighter economy, but it seems some things still need tweaking. Repairs and specialized ammo seem a FAR too expensive for the much lower op payouts (I literally lost all my starting money doing repairs after my first fight.)
- armies smaller than 4 units – in my personal testing armies smaller than 4 are immune to attack, but can still launch attacks (I assume that's unintentional). I've also found that at the very low BV's we're currently playing with, sub-4 unit armies kind of stomp 4 unit armies. I'd personally like to see a return to 4 unit minimums with enough hangar space to handle 2 lances (plus change).