Miscellaneous topics about the campaign

Moderator: Moderators

obese pigeon

Re: Feedback: front loaded initiative

Post by obese pigeon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Since everyone is already weighing in here, i might as well.

I've played a grand total of one game so far, but here are my observations when playing with front-loaded init:

-it's far more difficult for a game to reach a decisive tipping point, unlike with normal init rules whereby the early loss of unit results in one player steam-rolling over the other
-consequently, games seem to take longer to resolve
-'init sinking' doesn't matter. There is no need to destroy an opponent's downed units beyond trying to lower the bv for auto-resolve to kick in
-favours good players, since the loss of a unit due to luck isn't such a huge setback any more. Also decreases the importance of getting lucky with init rolls significantly. Overall RNG is a lesser factor in winning and losing.
-swarms were weak before, they are even weaker now :/

The one game that i played was a 4v4 where i managed to kill off one of my opponent's units early because it was cut off from the rest of his units. With front loaded init, i was not able to capitalise on my numerical superiority. It felt like I could have won the game much faster with the normal init rules.

So while i like certain aspects of the change, the main thing that turns me off would be increased game length.

Also, this is the first time we are using a house rule and changing a core part of the game, which also gives me pause.

Ben Holland

Post by Ben Holland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 pm

Something I've noticed in my return is that lower BV games tend to be quite dominated by large tanks. There doesn't seem to be much purpose for lances with 5-6 Stingers or what not.

I thought I'd be in favor of front loaded init, but now I'm not so sure.

Rushvin
Former MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Rushvin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 am

I will say the games are longer and more strategic then before. It doesn't hurt those who sandbag in a light with heavier units which i am not overall happy with. But I think it does make the game more interesting but longer. And you just cant feel like you can steam roll enemy after gaining a kill.
thoughts overall I think it is good.

Aero it is not active for.

On another note this is the second house rule on Init we have activated. The first was about Infantry. Without that one everyone would have 4 infantry in units as init sinks.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:16 am

Rushvin wrote: On another note this is the second house rule on Init we have activated. The first was about Infantry. Without that one everyone would have 4 infantry in units as init sinks.
Oh god, how bad would that be? I would have lasted a couple of games.

We've also had rules against some things. Hover tanks charging, before the rules changed. A few other things.

I may like the rule and I think what CGL does to keep that rule without really reviewing it is a mistake, I'm not sold we should keep this. Largely because I'm a grognard and I don't like changing rules, as a rule. 8)