MegamekNET Moderator

Re: Current cycle feedback

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:19 pm

Vector wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 am
obese pigeon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 am
mHQs
There's a Daimyo HQ on the DC medium vehicle build table.
That keeps getting deleted and keeps coming back because I think we use original tables for new cycles.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:43 pm

Commentary as a player, not as staff: I tend to agree with the fat bird, I think overall, the army construction is much better.

It leaves open some things that might be very hard to defeat with a typical force. 3 fast lights and an assault, especially something with a lot of range, like a Stalker or an Awesome would be very hard to beat. If the lights were of limited BV, say 1500 points total and your assault is about that too, how many 3000 point forces can beat an assault mech?

I think it is a gamble for the min/max player. If you do run into a force that can handle yours, you probably don't stand much chance.

I have more trouble, as a player, with a tough heavy and. Some lights taken down low. Heavies are faster and more flexible. They will be tougher to pin down.

Puts on staff hat: here is the thing, if you really think that an opponent has brought an army or plays an army in an unsporting way, you say something to the staff. Now this isn't a call to tantrum and rage quit a game. This isn't a call to have you question every army when you are going to lose. If you feel what you face is outside the bounds of good sportsmanship, you say something. We will look at it. I know of armies that the staff has said, "legal or not, don't play that again." (Not in a while though) They don't publicize it because they don't want others to emulate it and it's not commonly done. It's unlikely we are going to start swinging banhammers over such a thing, but I can certainly figure some builds that, if played in a particular manner, as a mod, I would say "yeah, don't do that. Legal nor not, it violates the manifesto of respecting the other player. Manifesto trumps rule set mostly. So, stop it." Certainly that would be examined, it is less a problem with the army than the player.

That's the overriding message of any comment by staff. Play nice. Respect each other, have fun.

We have tried to do by rule more than we should, so we have fewer rules on play now. It is smoother for the most part. If you have a specific concern, please bring it to our attention.

Vector

Post by Vector » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm

I agree that an assault and three light mechs are beatable, but I have to wonder about an assault and three Darter Scout Cars, just to give an example, fighting a 2000 bv lance. Personally I'd bring back BV spread or something like it (percentage-based could be nicer, or a soft restriction that imposes a BV tax instead of making some lances outright illegal), but much more lax than what we had last cycle. Even a BV spread as wide as 1000 cuts out the worst cases.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Vector wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm
I agree that an assault and three light mechs are beatable, but I have to wonder about an assault and three Darter Scout Cars, just to give an example, fighting a 2000 bv lance. Personally I'd bring back BV spread or something like it (percentage-based could be nicer, or a soft restriction that imposes a BV tax instead of making some lances outright illegal), but much more lax than what we had last cycle. Even a BV spread as wide as 1000 cuts out the worst cases.
That's a nasty thought if I may call it nasty. I would certainly have a hard look at an army and the play style of somebody that did that. Probably consult with a mod or 2 and an admin.

I did like the % cap, but it is subject to some manipulation. There is always a sweet spot that some units can come in at. FIgure out those combos and you get a significant advantage. Flat caps disallow some combos, but are less likely to have sweet spots. Thing about % caps is that the cap becomes meaningless at high BV and is fairly restrictive to low BV. So it shifts "abuse" if that's your view of it, to higher BV where you can sink 3 assaults with a light and take it at maybe only 5000 BV

Empty Seven

Post by Empty Seven » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Just a comment about Aero. I've been playing nothing but Aero for a few days now, and I have a few comments.

First.

It would be nice if someone would take a look at the build tables. The way it is set up now, you are almost guaranteed to pull the top unit on the list. With the way the pay out is set, this isn't that big of a deal as you can easily use the insane number of reward points you receive to pull from any table. However, someone who doesn't realize this may start to wonder, when they pull their 7th Chippewa in a row, what the hell is going on. :)

Second.
The pay out is insane, possibly causing game imbalance. For someone like me who is playing exclusively Aero, it literally would allow me to finance another player almost entirely. You might consider this a plus, as it encourages team play, but...I'm just pointing it out. Do what you like with the info. Alternately, I can afford to flood the market with 500c-bill dropships.

Third.
Dropships are awesome, and fun to play, but they are neigh unusable as they are only allowed for one opp, and it requires 9 leveled units to play, making it a what, a one game per cycle opp? I mean that's cool and all, but if I can afford to buy a dropship, and play it, I'd kinda like to be able to do that more than just once per 6 or 8 months, and spend the rest of the time just admiring it in my hanger.

Also, It might be worth taking a look at the settings for the win conditions on Aero. There's been more than a few times a match has ended early (in my opinion) where the losing player still had a very viable chance of winning. I've also had a couple of games end where it was so close that it was uncertain which team had actually won at first.

Just some feedback. I've enjoyed this cycle more than the past.

Vector

Post by Vector » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:30 pm

Empty Seven wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:04 pm
Also, It might be worth taking a look at the settings for the win conditions on Aero. There's been more than a few times a match has ended early (in my opinion) where the losing player still had a very viable chance of winning. I've also had a couple of games end where it was so close that it was uncertain which team had actually won at first.
Can confirm. Ground operations are set to require a BV ratio of 300% before auto resolving, but aero is requiring 160% or something, and I do feel some of those matches could still go the other way. I'd prefer aero was adjusted to require more of an advantage, and also standardizing it to the same as ground operations might be good to prevent new aero players from being disappointed by the abrupt ending.

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Post by Tuco » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:06 pm

I have adjusted the Victory Conditions for all Aero Ops.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:21 am

Was the IS map function overlay removed?
Turn it on and off does nothing for me.

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 am

It has to be turned off to be shown.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Thanks but I still don't see anything even after restarting.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:22 am

The settings for this cycle have been great. Its my first time playing without bv spread and its a blast.

That said, i think RP costs for pulling on the rare tables is a bit low, especially for rare light mech tables. I've been dumping all my RP into rare lights, and i've picked up 2 HSR-200-Ds, 1 NTK-2Q, 1 MON-66b and 2 THE-N. Is level two tech too accessible? Something to consider

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm

See what I was saying? :)

Tuco

Post by Tuco » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 pm

TigerShark wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:19 pm
See what I was saying? :)
You must have written it elsewhere?

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm

This was re.: discussion in the "BV difference in army comp" thread. Once folks got used to playing without it, the accusations of "cheese" melted away. (pun?)

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:35 pm

TigerShark wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm
This was re.: discussion in the "BV difference in army comp" thread. Once folks got used to playing without it, the accusations of "cheese" melted away. (pun?)
I disagree to you and obese pigeon.

People simply stay away, instead of complaining. Is it a step forward? I have my doubts.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 pm

The whole server was reset to a time when there was a lot of activity. It didn't change anything and that's not Tuco or Spork's fault. The player base simply isn't there.

Ceorl

Post by Ceorl » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 am

Respectfully disagree on several points. The least of which was this was not a straight rollback.
Clans? I call you by your true names: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will come back to lord over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans.

Brown_Adept

Post by Brown_Adept » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Mechs missing from hangers and the BM = Victor and Rifleman 3Y.

Brown_Adept

Post by Brown_Adept » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Mechs missing from hangers and the BM = Victor and Rifleman 3Y.