A few Questions

Issues with the server software (not campaign)

Moderators: Torren, Moderators

TheSlayer

A few Questions

Post by TheSlayer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi, I've managed to compile and run a server and everything seems to be working fine, no issues with the actual function of the server yet, others can download a copy of my client folder and connect with no issues. I'm happily populating the server with planets, factories, buildtables, and mechfiles and even added new factions with no issues.

I've run into a few things that I'm not sure if I just don't know the right settings or if it's impossible to do..

1) I've tried to set factories to not have a refresh time, and it appears the minimum they will display is 1 minitick to refresh (which actually requires a full tick before they can be used again).

2) I've tried to set factories to not require components to produce units, and it appears the minimum requirement is still 1 component even if they're set to 0.

3) I've tried to set up sub-factions and limit access to factories, which appears to work but not the way I thought it would: I can make Factory A with access level 1, and Factory B with access level 2. I can make sub-faction A with access level 1, and sub-faction B with access level 2. Sub-faction A is limited to Factory A, they can't even see or access Factory B. Sub-faction B on the other hand, can access both Factory A and B. Is there no way to limit a sub-faction to ONLY the factories they have the access level for?

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Re: A few Questions

Post by Tuco » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:44 am

For 1) and 2), 0 is simply not valid. You have to use at least 1.

I figure you do not want to go the spam way and set your production and refresh rates laughably high because you also want 3).

For 3), subfactions work as levelup the way they are coded. A higher subfaction will always have access to what a lower subfaction has.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:12 pm

TheSlayer wrote: 1) I've tried to set factories to not have a refresh time, and it appears the minimum they will display is 1 minitick to refresh (which actually requires a full tick before they can be used again).
I have factories set to not need a refresh, but don't recall the setting. I'll check when I get home.
2) I've tried to set factories to not require components to produce units, and it appears the minimum requirement is still 1 component even if they're set to 0.
The easy way around this is to set it to 1 component, but grant 9,999,999 components. It'll have the effect you desire of never needing components generated.
3) I've tried to set up sub-factions and limit access to factories, which appears to work but not the way I thought it would: I can make Factory A with access level 1, and Factory B with access level 2. I can make sub-faction A with access level 1, and sub-faction B with access level 2. Sub-faction A is limited to Factory A, they can't even see or access Factory B. Sub-faction B on the other hand, can access both Factory A and B. Is there no way to limit a sub-faction to ONLY the factories they have the access level for?
We did something like this a long time ago and I cannot recall the workaround. I do believe a fix could be coded (i.e.: sub-factions having access only to the listed levels), but not sure how important it would be to your campaign and if you'd want the headache of doing all that work.

TheSlayer

Post by TheSlayer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm

TigerShark wrote: The easy way around this is to set it to 1 component, but grant 9,999,999 components. It'll have the effect you desire of never needing components generated.
I tried this, set it to 1 component then granted the faction exactly 10 million components. The example I was testing was a Heavy Mek factory and after doing that it maxed out as displaying there were 20 units worth of comps in the house status tab; every buy from the factory reduced it to 19, 18, etc.

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

That's because the number of units worth of parts wasn't changed. Increase the number of units stored in the factory. You'll also need to play with the number of components used per unit