It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Use bridges on all terrain, not just water
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:08 am 

I suggest altering/enhancing the road building rules to utilize bridges more often than just over water.

Problem description:
Currently when MegaMek generates a road across elevated terrain, the road is always at ground level, unless the road crosses water. As vehicles are not allowed to go up or down more than one elevation at a time, roads can be generated that are not able to be traversed by ground vehicles. As ground vehicles are the primary beneficiaries of roads, this is counter-intuitive.

Expectation:
Contiguous roads would not deviate by more than one elevation when being placed, regardless of the height difference of the underlying hexes. This would cause bridges to form over valleys. If a road goes from a 0 height hex to a 3 height hex, then the road should become a bridge at height 2, and previous road hexes should be re-adjusted to be a bridge such that the height goes from 0 to 1 to 2 to 3 and a vehicle is able to traverse all of the road hexes.

Possible Issues:
Coding requirement.
Map generation may take longer and be more computationally expensive, especially on maps with high amounts of elevation change that have a road that covers a significant portion of the map.

Priority rating:
Nice to have.

Simple repro steps:
Generated Map Settings
All settings at 0 except for board size and the following:
Advanced
Cliffs: 100
Road: 100
Lakes: 2-2
Lake Size: 10-20
Deep Water: 100
River: 100
Drought: 100
FX Modifier: 3

View Game Board until the generated road travels across the empty lake and/or riverbed. Attempt to drive a vehicle across the road. Perform same steps but set Drought to 0, see that vehicle is now able to travel across the water-filled hexes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:13 am 

I love this idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:45 pm 

Bridges are so difficult to handle...my mechs always do "walking back and changing elevation" roll when walking back on a bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:04 pm 

Here's a couple examples:

I would love it if bridges formed in situations that made reasonable sense. I can see it also making sense to consider that on these war-torn worlds, bridges have already been destroyed in many places and just replace road with rubble in circumstances that it decreases 2+ hexes from an adjacent road.

I did recently have a game with a 3 elevation change (in 85% or so of examples) sheer drop ravine (droughted riverbed) that segmented the map. A road led right up to the ravine, dropped 3 hexes, and then continued on the other side of it. It would have made the game significantly more interesting from a tactical perspective if I had the opportunity to rush the bridge and get across it while my opponent attempted to destroy it.

Instead, he had a range advantage over my rush lance and I only had one jumper. He parked two long range mechs near the ravine and just sat there plinking away. Crossing the ravine would have required a 2 and 5 pt mp cost to get down to the plain, minimum 6 hexes of 2 mp movement with additional facing changes, and another 5 and 2 mp cost to climb up the other side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 pm 

Somewhat related to this was an old suggestion I posted back when I was active here before. I'd like to see an alternate tileset for bridges that looks like natural stone. I have some ideas for multi-level maps with caverns that would look MUCH nicer implemented this way instead of a bunch of bridge patches all over the landscape.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]