Hearts out to the people of France

Not related to MegaMek/MegaMekNET/MekWars

Moderator: Moderators

Jackal

Hearts out to the people of France

Post by Jackal » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:46 pm

Deepest heartfelt sympathies and solidarity with the people of France. I hope that everyone is safe, and the the perpetrators of this horrible crime are soon brought to justice.

To echo the words France newspapers said in the wake of the 9/11 tragedy in my country, "We are all French now."

Deadweight

Re: Hearts out to the people of France

Post by Deadweight » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Spork
Mekwars Developer

Post by Spork » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Thank you for posting this.

The front page of mekwars.org was designed by a longtime player here, Guibod, who lives in France. My thoughts are with him - he was an important part of this community for many years.
Never had much, grew up with nothing
But the music, well it was something
Been down and out, I've been on top of the world,
World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:30 pm

I shudder to think of the response of France and the West. As is the way with real war, the innocent suffer the most.

Deadweight

Post by Deadweight » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:56 am

Nastyogre wrote:I shudder to think of the response of France and the West. As is the way with real war, the innocent suffer the most.
Agreed. Here's hoping that cool heads prevail.

Bloodknight
MegamekNET PR Administrator

Post by Bloodknight » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:23 am

I shudder to think of the response of France and the West
Don't. It will be the usual appeasement politics or half-assed attempts like Afghanistan and Iraq for the sake of the home front. NATO and the US have never fought to full consequence after WWII (which, also, was the only time the western nations actually brought democracy to a country, for that matter. Ever heard of German or Japanese extremist terrorists attacking the western way of life? Because that's what ISIS do. They don't attack military installations. They shoot up people at rock concerts because music is evil). The west, particularly the US, have been chasing that high since 1945, but never fully committed again.
Anyway:
NATO should be mobilising already, a million boots on the ground instead of inconsequential drone attacks and whatever, and wipe that f****** death-cult from the face of the earth. I might not have kids myself, but I dread the future for yours if something drastic isn't done. Somethign that says: do not screw with us or prepare to live in a crater. Those bastards are just as bad as the Nazis (I think this is one of the few fitting Godwins, because ISIS would kill all the jews, too, if they could...), they're just not organized and powerful enough yet to pull off the same horrific things, and look where appeasing Hitler over and over again got the world.
Am I hawkish here? Most likely. I've always been a peaceful guy who'd rather like to negotiate, but politics fail when one side can't be reasoned with. I think it's time for France to invoke the mutual defence guarantee. As a reservist, I'm not saying that lightly either, because it might mean that I'd get called to arms, too.

Light games (btw, the Brandenburg Gate wore the Tricolore, too) will not do anything.

As you might notice, I'm really, really angry.

Nastyogre
MegamekNET Moderator

Post by Nastyogre » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:22 pm

You and I feel much the same way Bloodknight. I guess I was assuming France might be willing to get stuck in. Then again we (the west) will not do what it takes. As much as I abhor war, I don't think there is a solution to Daesh outside of it.

Edit: When the German says something is as bad as the Nazis, it is probably accurate. I'm not really making a joke. That might seem humorous at first glance, perhaps it is. I'm entirely serious about that statement though.

I honestly don't understand why France doesn't invoke the mutual defense guarantee. Is it because they don't feel threatened enough? Just because Daesh can't invade and take over right now doesn't mean squat. (at least to me) I have the sinking feeling its a combination of not feeling threatened enough and that there is no stomach for total war. I also wonder if France called for it would NATO actually respond? Or would we find out that NATO is a tiger on paper only, or is only meant to defend against the Soviets/Russians. Anything short of that, the NATO countries would beg off.

Then again, maybe its just money. Rebuilding countries takes a bunch of time and money. It bothers me to think that the highest levels of gov't are thinking. "Well, we would have to invade and occupy much of Syria and Iraq for an even longer period that the USA was there and we aren't going to do that." So they trade lives for money.

I get that there are two sides to this story and that the West has a significant amount of responsibility for not encouraging democracy and human rights in the middle east. Brutality begets brutality. I agree wholeheartedly that this is beyond the pale for it however. We could let the Syrians and Iraqis solve their problems. We might help some. Attack us on our soil? (Our's collectively) yeah, hell. I'm for an open declaration of war on Syria and Iraq and the full re-invasion and occupation. No more silly make up your own constitution that guarantees that you will have civil and ethnic strife. Post war Germany and Japan were more or less told how their governments would work. It's time we do the same. With the understanding that as you say. Behave or prepare to live in a crater. I may be too old to fight now. My kids aren't old enough. I have friends, other family and people I care about that might have to. So I don't take that viewpoint lightly.

Klingon

Post by Klingon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:37 am

France would probably like to be seen as being able to deal with the threat without asking for help, if they can. If they can't, then the gloves come off.
"Grasshopper, the three secrets to life are as follows. First, keep your eyes and ears open. Second... don't tell everything you know."

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")