Steam Integration for mekwars?

Not related to MegaMek/MegaMekNET/MekWars

Moderator: Moderators

obese pigeon

Steam Integration for mekwars?

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am

Im currently playing a completely free open source game called Battle for Wesnoth. It's a volunteer project like MekWars and Megamek with new campaigns being added on an ongoing basis by the playerbase

Their steam page is below FYI

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5993 ... r_Wesnoth/

It got me thinking, if the wesnoth people can have a steam page, why can't we?

Getting a steam page will give access to a huge number of new players, we just have to make sure the game is tagged with the right tags "Battletech", "Mechwarrior", "Wargaming" etc.

Has this idea been floated before? What do the rest think?

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Re: Steam Integration for mekwars?

Post by Tuco » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm

I'm unsure about the level of official where this would take the game and there's a difference between the game you linked and our situation. I also don't know the conditions steam itself has for libre games...
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:55 am

Tuco wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:24 pm
I'm unsure about the level of official where this would take the game and there's a difference between the game you linked and our situation. I also don't know the conditions steam itself has for libre games...
I see. I did not consider the legal and intellectual property aspect. Like you, I'm unsure about that as well. For the steam conditions for free games, I could easily write in to steam and ask

TigerShark
Mekwars Server Operator

Post by TigerShark » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm

I could always put Dominion on there and see if I get sued. :P

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:25 am

TigerShark wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm
I could always put Dominion on there and see if I get sued. :P
Actually it's a good idea. I doubt the first medium of communication would be a lawsuit