It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: New BattleTech Game Coming
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:35 pm 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/paradox-interactive-and-harebrained-schemes-partner-to-publish-battletech.1021116/

STOCKHOLM - May 12, 2017 - Paradox Interactive today announced a partnership with Harebrained Schemes, the studio behind the Shadowrun Returns series, to publish BATTLETECH, the first turn-based tactical 'Mech PC game in over 20 years. Set in the MechWarrior universe, the game is being led by Jordan Weisman, creator of BattleTech and MechWarrior, Mitch Gitelman, Producer of the MechCommander series, and Mike McCain, Creative Director of the Shadowrun series. BATTLETECH was successfully Kickstarted in November 2016, and now Paradox is providing a full loadout of publishing support in BATTLETECH’s march to launch.

MechWarriors and Mercenaries alike can see the first trailer for BATTLETECH here:

https://youtu.be/EfM9otjBSII

“We couldn’t miss the chance to work with Harebrained Schemes given how big of fans we are of their work on the Shadowrun Returns series. The opportunity to reintroduce our strategy-minded players to the tactical roots of the BattleTech universe makes this partnership even sweeter,” said Johan Sjöberg, Chief Product Officer of Paradox Interactive. “We are as excited about BATTLETECH as the early backers are, and we can’t wait to do our part to bring the game to market.”

“We at HBS have enormous respect for the long history of quality strategy games that Paradox has published and we are proud to have BATTLETECH become part of that history” said Jordan Weisman, CEO of Harebrained Schemes. “We are confident in our ability to create a game worthy of the MechWarrior franchise’s legacy and are really excited to have Paradox’s expertise as a publisher to help us present BATTLETECH to the widest possible audience.”

Thanks to the generous support of the Kickstarter community, BATTLETECH will be the first turn-based tactical BattleTech game on PC in more than 20 years. Set in the year 3025, the universe is trapped in a cycle of perpetual war, fought by militarized noble houses utilizing huge, mechanized combat vehicles called BattleMechs. Players will take command of their own Mercenary outfit, struggling to stay afloat as they find themselves drawn into a bloody interstellar civil war. BATTLETECH features explosive tactical `Mech combat, deep Mercenary management gameplay, a rewarding story campaign, and addictive PvP multiplayer. The game is scheduled to launch in 2017.

Harebrained Schemes was cofounded in 2011 by Jordan Weisman and Mitch Gitelman, and received widespread critical acclaim for Shadowrun Returns, their recreation of classic cyberpunk RPG, Shadowrun. Paradox Interactive was founded in 1999, and is known for its development of grand strategy titles such as Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, and Hearts of Iron. As a publishing partner, Paradox most notably worked with Obsidian for the launches of Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity’s DLC content, and Tyranny.

I was watching their news for other games, but this seemed like it'd be of interest to you folks here.

Post subject: Re: New BattleTech Game Coming
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:20 pm 

I backed the kickstarter and I'm sure a lot of other folks here did too.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:53 pm 

You can watch a good portion of gameplay at https://youtu.be/rt6FatHHnzI.

Of utmost importance (and huge relief for those of us who bemoan Megamek's lack of swift gameplay) is that turn time can be set to varying degrees of swiftness/harshness, and mechanics that normally slow down gameplay 'on the board' have been altered to speed up gameplay. Does this tarnish the "Battletech" experience? We'll find out (likely) this fall.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:11 pm 

I had hopes but when I watch the video I lost some. It looks like it could be a Mod for Xcom the way they are going with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:28 pm 

Chaser wrote:
I had hopes but when I watch the video I lost some. It looks like it could be a Mod for Xcom the way they are going with it.

The original X-Com is one of the best TBT video games ever made. Maybe THE best. With a little bit of conversion, it would make for a pretty good battletech game. The hitpoint system is the only thing that wouldn't be as good.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

X-Com for life!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:54 am 
Mekwars Server Operator

The only thing left that I'm no fan of is the time period in which it's set. I find the Succession Wars incredibly boring and probably the least-interesting time for BT. Seems like every game of BT has to start out there before finally branching out to the Invasion and beyond. Table top is that way, MWO was like that, MWT, and now this. The computer games (MW3 and MW4) at least gave you some Operation Bulldog action and other interesting settings.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:27 am 
MegamekNET PR Administrator

I backed it. I liked the swag that came with it and that it's a Succession Wars game. I had enough Clans in MW 2-4.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:14 am 

My key has arrived. Won't be able to test it before Sunday, though. I'll keep you posted.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 am 

Just downloaded it. Considering it's just a beta, skirmish mode only, I'm decently impressed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:37 pm 
Mekwars Server Operator

Saint wrote:
Just downloaded it. Considering it's just a beta, skirmish mode only, I'm decently impressed.

Same here...the turn sequence takes some getting used to, but its definitely has promise.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:32 pm 

Can i get my money back for this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:03 pm 

I'm not particularly impressed so far, it doesn't feel like BT at all. What I really don't like is the turn sequence, the way LRM work (badly, minimum range is way too high) and that it is very, very difficult to keep light mechs alive through speed since they usually collapse the first time they get shot at (or did I miss a waypoint system that allows lights to actually get these +3?).

I don't think pilot hits do anything atm, a legged mech got up, ran around my unit and shot it in the back and a unit shot at me with an autocannon after taking a crit into its ammo (that apparently did nothing). That's not even beta-level, IMO, more like Alpha.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:40 am 

If you were looking for a high-end video-game version of Tabletop Battletech, you'll be very disappointed. Keep playing Megamek.

If you like turn-based blowing-stuff-up-with-stuff-based-on-the-Battletech-franchise, you're in luck. Have fun with Battletech: Wild Phantom Phase Warfare Reborn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:04 pm 

Quote:
I'm not particularly impressed so far, it doesn't feel like BT at all.

Ya I watched a buddy play with his beta access and those were my feelings as well. It's got a very Mechcommander feel in that its fast and loose with the game mechanics (no surprise there since the lead is the same). But Mechcommander came out in 98 and 01 (?!), when FASA was still around. Back then this idea felt like a spin-off. Now I worry the game is derivative.

In a sense, Weisman feels like one of those veterans who comes back to the game after a long hiatus, immediately begins complaining about everything wrong it, and proposes cures that those who've carried the torch are very skeptical of. Plus Harebrained Scheme games have been a mixed-bag from what I've played.

Is that unfair? Absolutely! Not only is Weisman one of the creators but I know my expectations are too high. Still I can't shake it, and nothing I've seen or heard has helped that feeling. I hope I'm wrong I really do. After all I backed the game :P

Clans? I call you by your true names: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will come back to lord over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:17 pm 

Dunno, I really liked the Shadowrun titles. This one does away with one of the best features that made BT such an outstanding game in the TT world: its turn sequence with simultaneous damage. So far I think that light mechs suck hard unless you hide them and use that gimmicky Sensor Lock skill, which is something the pilot does and not the mech.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:56 pm 
Mekwars Server Operator

Bloodknight wrote:
Dunno, I really liked the Shadowrun titles. This one does away with one of the best features that made BT such an outstanding game in the TT world: its turn sequence with simultaneous damage. So far I think that light mechs suck hard unless you hide them and use that gimmicky Sensor Lock skill, which is something the pilot does and not the mech.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was programmed that way to emphasize the dominance of heavier designs. Kind of like vehicles in BT and why they don't have access to Double Heat Sinks. Also sounds like something they'd correct in the commercial release of the game; especially if the feedback on Lights is overwhelmingly negative.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:10 am 

Played about 20 games and the more I play, the less i like it. Feels too mech commander to me. I would play MWT any day over the HBS game at this point.

Looks like it can be modded quite easily tho, I hope the Megamek devs take a crack at it! ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]