It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 pm 

Hello all,

I am new. Properly new. Played some tabletop in the early 90s. So if you see me about, please look upon my failures in a friendly way and offer some helpful advice.

Thankyou.

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm 

you are welcome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:17 pm 

We were all there at some point, lordelwess. You'll get very good before you know it.

And definitely ask for help, practice matches, etc. There are some people here who really love to teach.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 pm 

Some players see new players as loadstones or albatrosses around the necks of their faction. Others see them as dull blades that merely need sharpening to be used on our enemies. I view them as food of course. :-)

Ask for help and advice and most players here will give it. All but the grumpiest will readily give it. Even the grumpy ones will welcome a new player that wants to learn and will listen to the advice of veterans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm 

Hello,

Quick update. Have played 22 games now. 4 wins. I dont think I am doing anything incredibly wrong, and everyone is being helpful with my stupid questions but I have two examples of problems I am facing:

1) Cash and unit burn. Last game earnt me 3k cbills. Cost me 2k in repairs and on top of that lost a Jenner and a Longbow. I am attacking planets carefully to avoid loosing any ground, but at some point I am going to have no units of cash left.

2) Matchups. I am used to playing online games which have ranking systems to match you up against similarly experienced opposition. Now, when I go active, I am pretty sure I am just easy pickings for the better players. Add in problem one, and it seems like it is less hassle to play a couple of rounds and admit defeat rather than risk the loss of more resources.

Not looking for any special favours, but after two games for my faction I'm already wondering what happens when you run out of meks and credits!

Tim.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm 

It's tough sometimes. I played about 20 games before I had my first win. That was many years ago.

A few pointers:

If you are struggling, stick to units you can afford. Lights and Mediums. Once upon a time, we restricted heavier units to higher ELO or higher experience. People wanted to play what they want to play. Staff agreed to allow this but it does create a pitfall. Heavies and Assaults will deplete your funds and flu so quickly you will be bankrupt.

Measure your purchases. Many players early in cycles go crazy purchasing. My rule is I will only buy one new unit per game I play. (maybe 2 if it's lights meks, vehicles or infantry) That assumes I've won, or lost and only lost 1 unit. If I lose more than 1 unit (again barring cheap stuff) I will not grow my hangar.

Tighten up your play. Invariably, new players are playing fast and loose. Focus on moving correctly. If you walk, move at least 3 hexes, if you run, move at least 5 (not movement points spent, but hexes moved) This keeps your movement mods at least balanced. Use cover. Focus your fire on a single enemy unit and kill it. Do not set yourself up for all or nothing attacks. They will probably fail and you will put yourself in a bad position. Always consider what your opponent will do in response. I see many new players setup that "perfect" attack. It probably hits on an 8 or 9, which is less than half the time, and their opponent is going to shoot every unit they can at that backstabbing, headkicking or DFA unit of yours.

Make sure your team stays pretty close together. Flanking and encirclement are tactics best left to experienced players. Keep it tight and focus on the basics. If an opponent is going to get up close and brawl make it so they have to take on your whole force.

Do know when to cut your losses. You shouldn't easily surrender, but if you are down a unit and your opponent is nearly pristine and your other 3 are roughed up? unless you know you are a better player, it's time to not throw good units after bad.

Don't buy yourself out of FLU. The biggest advantage you have is launching the attack. You can attack worlds with favorable terrain and even attack worlds with no or low % held by your faction if you are really concerned about your success.

Stay cool. Overheating past 4 is rarely a good idea. Especially if you want that mech to be mobile. (see the "perfect" attacks mentioned above) If you overheat badly, that mech will be slow or combat ineffective the next turn. If it manages to go down? It's now slow, not jumping (if it could) and almost unable to fire. That is called "being delivered into my salvage pool."

There are a number of army building, tactical and strategic articles written in the new player section. Read them. Research Battletech play on-line. There are a few sites that discuss things like range bracketing and riding heat curves.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:28 pm 

I am only attacking planets where we have no faction presence. At least that way I dont feel I am being too much of a "noob tax" on the team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 pm 

Practice, in this game as in all things, makes perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:51 pm 

@lordelwess

What you describe on Feb. 16th is very common for new players. And by new, yes I do mean tabletop guys who've played off an on over the years and decide to give the online game a try. The real difference is that you are open about your difficulties. Most LELOs are not, and the server has a high churn rate due to the resulting frustration.

I'll tell you what I've told other players. If you play on mekwarz you cannot play casually, you have to play competitively. Think of participating in a MOBA, or e-sports scene for an analogy. In other words, make sure to have the proper mindset when you login and look for a game.

Quote:
2) Matchups. I am used to playing online games which have ranking systems to match you up against similarly experienced opposition. Now, when I go active, I am pretty sure I am just easy pickings for the better players. Add in problem one, and it seems like it is less hassle to play a couple of rounds and admit defeat rather than risk the loss of more resources.

The server debates this skill imbalance matchup endlessly. The majority position has always been that the server population is too low to allow a matchmaking system, even assuming the admins could code such a mechanic. IMO, I remain very concerned about this issue so you are not alone.

Clans? I call you by your true names: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will come back to lord over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:19 pm 

Reviewing the guides in the new player section and watching the youtube channel prepared by Jackal (also listed there) can help a great deal.

Cerol is right, we don't really have the player base to engage in matchmaking, perhaps once long ago, but not with 76 players spread out across the planet. Maybe if there were only 2 factions. Even then it would be easy for a player to be so strong or so weak that at any given time there would be no way to play a game because nobody would be in their range.

In lieu of a matchmaking system we handicap the results a bit, so the weaker players have their losses reduced and stronger players their gains reduced if they are playing out of their "league" as it were.

The learning curve is steep. One can be a "casual player" meaning that you don't live and breathe what goes on here. Ceorl is right, the mindset for play is competitive. Trying to figure out what your opponent is doing, moving to counter it or limit the impact. Always playing with a mind on what the other guy is doing. It's not just throw the mechs together and see what happens. You can play that way, but you will be remarkably unsuccessful.

The economy has been modified now so units should be more plentiful. Still if you are losing 2 or 3 units a game, the payouts are not structured to sustain that kind of loss unless you are playing vehicles, lights and mediums.

Play tight, keep it frosty, think about what the other player will do in response to what you do. My three main mantra's of Battletech. It won't make you an Ace player, but doing that will make you competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm 

Nastyogre wrote:
unless you are playing vehicles, lights and mediums.

I have switched to playing just lights and mediums! That way I can replace them much more easily with cash or the occasional reward point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:47 am 

Loosing has stopped being fun.
I have decided to leave.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:20 pm 
Mekwars Developer

You won't improve that way.

World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:59 pm 

lordelwess please come back and request a defection by the staff to my faction. We will teach you. Certainly we want to win the campaign, but new players are the lifeblood of this environment.
We have plenty of veterans so we have more than enough mentors. I'll mentor you myself if you would like. Team is more important than individual, don't interpret that as that you should should leave or avoid playing. It's that we need to develop the team and that is more important than if one player isn't an ace. Teams win this. Factions that play as individuals without a team concept or strategy rarely do. Even then, the factions with strong team spirit have more fun. About the most fun I've ever had here were the Fed Suns cycles that we barely held off invasion by DC and CC at the same time. We weren't going to win. It was a matter of losing or complete destruction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:57 am 

lordelwess and i had a chat yesterday where i reassured him that he shouldnt be too concerned with costing the faction for his losses. We also went through some pointers in lance construction. Lastly, we have agreed to play a training game some time in future so i can at least identify any issues he might have (if any)

Just like you Nasty, i hate to see a good newbie go to waste :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 am 

Thank you fat bird. Not every veteran player is willing or able to take on mentoring new players. More than winning a campaign its about making the environment as good as it can be for as many players as possible. Mentoring helps players get over the hump of learning. There is alot more to this place than just learning how to move the pieces and buy new ones.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:12 am 

Well everyone can make a tutorial game with a new Player, hasn´t got to be a factionmate allthough it Supports a Feeling of belonging to something.
I for myself would be happy to Play one or more such games even if the other is not in my faction. Feel free to Point Players in my direction.
To be be exaggeratingly nice pls I want to encourage other pp,l who think to know the ropes , to do These games regularly.

As a additional idea maybe the council can make a list of ppl willing to train..... Maybe something like a tutorpool get 2 RP per tut game similar to SOL games or something like that.

Lordelwess? Whats your timezone? If you want a tut I am mostly online at evenings europe time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:25 pm 

Very generous of you Lumpi, and you are right, anybody can do a Tactical Simulation. (250 exp is the top for a Tutorial)

It is important to have support within each faction, just from a team building standpoint. Whether or not the Faction Leader or "coach" is all that inclined to train, support and encourage, an environment and tone that is supportive really is a must.

I wish I had access to my manifestos from the Fed Suns and Draconis Combine. Pretty much sums up how I work and what I expect. It's not necessarily the only way, or the best way to create that environment, but it is one way. It's not unique to me either. Frankly, I learned much of that from guys like Obese Pigeon (on good days), Dr. Claw, Bloodknight, Demir, Saint and other "old timers." They played hard, played to win and successful or not treated their opponents and teammates with respect.

Maybe we should try and create a "mentor" network or designation. Volunteer only. Willing to help, train, answer questions etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 pm 

Quote:
lordelwess and i had a chat yesterday where i reassured him that he shouldn't be too concerned with costing the faction for his losses

This is so common, been this ways for years. I had a buddy who gave up on this server for a comparable reason.

Since it's being brought up in this thread, rather than an ad-hoc volunteer force (which likely won't make much progress due to a reliance on player altruism (i.e. taking time out of the campaign) rather than player self-interest (i.e. affecting the campaign)) perhaps the Council should discuss more substantive changes to the server's metagame to incentivize factions to support LELOs.

Anyhoo, keeping sticking with it lordelwess. There are alot of relatively easy things you can do to improve your game that are related to how you play on the server, and not just your performance in megamek.

Clans? I call you by your true names: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will come back to lord over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans.

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]