It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upset
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:10 am 

I get blinded by Crucis Lancers again when I have a set game I go active for and we announced it. (in his defense this time we did not announce BV's)
I am asking why this move is okay as it frustrates me when I am set with someone else ready to play. I am reading the rules and see nothing about it. Finally after asking in my faction someone gives me the link to extra rules on blinds.
I see the rules on blinds however the beginning of the rules on everything that contains the blind info says this prefacing all of it:
"Here be a compilation of things which are allowed by code, but that you are not (temporarily) supposed to use"

Now reading that tells me yes this is legal but you are not supposed to do it. Am I reading this incorrectly? Somehow in asking this question and wanting clarification of these rules I am told to stop asking and play or my force gets scrapped. I said to scrap my force. I do not respond well to someone forcing me to do something when I am asking for simple clarification of a rule.
I think me losing my force for asking for a simple rule clarification is 100% wrong. I don't have to be happy to play a game but requesting info on the rules behind it should be allowable.
Ruklaol

Post subject: Re: Upset
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:19 am 
MegamekNET Moderator

I'll have a post up for this after I sort though the all the chat that this issue involved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:22 am 
Mekwars Developer

Dismissed. Blinding is a viable, supported, and within the rules mechanic. It is very explicitly spelled out that you are NOT safe going active for an arranged game.

World that keeps on spinning on a turntable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:27 am 
Mekwars Developer

The pertinent rule, which you are supposed to know, reads thus:

Quote:
5) Being active openly announces your willingness to commit to any game. Stating your intention of playing an arranged game and then going active has no legal, moral or sportsmanship claim over any other player. If you desire to play an arranged game against a specific individual, be sure to use one of the available Attack-From-Reserve, or AFR, operations. The only exception to this rule that will be enforced by the admins and moderators are players who have to retask for any reason. The same exception applies to SOL games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:24 am 

Correct and above it for the entire ruleset says this "Here be a compilation of things which are allowed by code, but that you are not (temporarily) supposed to use"
And that is exactly what I was asking clarification for.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:19 am 

The way it works is this:

You arrange a game (or not) with an opponent.
You and/or your opponent go active to launch the attack and receive it, as you'd agreed.
Player #3 sees one or both of you go active, and blinds one of you.

Now. At this point you can legally:
Accept that game and play it as though you'd meant to do that one instead.
You can still follow through with the game you were planning on, you just have a three minute timer to do so before the leech penalty kicks in.
Accept the leech penalty, and proceed to play anyways.

We will see to amending the verbiage; I can see how that could be confusing, especially to someone not familiar with this environment.

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:07 pm 

Thank you for the explanation. I was not trying to be difficult and am glad to have the full rule explained.
So am i correct in reading this that i do have an option to ignore his attack and take the leach penalty? (which i would not do as it would negatively effect my faction. Just like knowing that an option is there)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:05 pm 
MegamekNET Moderator

Yes. You also have 3 minutes to accept an attack, and if the one you arranged a game with manages to attack within that time frame, you may still choose to defend his attack instead of the blind. Of course this requires some coordination and noone that falls asleep in front of the screen while trying to get off an attack ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:21 pm 
Mekwars Developer

I promise you, you will be far more upset than you are now if you don't answer the question on the other complaint.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:36 am 

According to the rules at the time I read them I was 100% correct and asking for clarification. I have since gotten that clarification as well as the following from Klingon above "We will see to amending the verbiage; I can see how that could be confusing, especially to someone not familiar with this environment."
While requesting clarification I was told I would either play immediately or my force would be scrapped. (which it was)
I logged off as i was not going to get a clarification at the time. I now know i had a 3rd option to ignore it and take the leach penalty (which i would not want to do to my faction)
If you feel i should be punished for asking for clarification when the rule was stated in my favor even according to Klingon then feel free to punish me & i will take it like a big boy although be disappointed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:38 pm 
Mekwars Developer

No, you were not right. Do not tell *me* the rules on this server.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:46 pm 

Ruklaol wrote:
If you feel i should be punished for asking for clarification when the rule was stated in my favor even according to Klingon then feel free to punish me & i will take it like a big boy although be disappointed.

You would not be punished for asking for clarification.

You would be punished for being very rude to your opponent, which is included in the manifesto, and not a bug list. An excerpt below:

Quote:
4. What we demand from players

Knowledge and respect of the rules. Respect of other players. Extreme respect of moderators.

We demand they don't engage in "rule lawyering" defined as nitpicking on every diminituve detail of the wording of the rules, so to twist their meaning and leverage loopholes to gain any kind of advantage (either real or perceived) by doing so. This is not a tribunal, we don't want lawyers and attorneys.

We require players behave in a mature and reasonable way AT ALL TIMES. The more the feet stomping, the less our tolerance.

We require that any problem the players might have with the system or with other players be notified FIRST to the staff. No self-enforcing justice here. Everything can be fixed, but if you want to be the lawmaker, the judge, the jury and the executioner, better start looking for some other place to play into.

5. What we expect from players

Fairness, honesty, sportmanship, maturity, understanding that in the end this is only a videogame.

We expect that they are not annoying, that they understand what to do when they're being answered "stop it", "drop it" or "it's enough".

We expect they don't think of themselves as having any special privilege when they perform "game duties" with more dedication than the average player.

We expect them not to behave like morons.

(PROTIP: if there's ever a cardinal rule, it is the "respect for other players" rule. EDIT: If you look at other complaints, you'll see a LOT of them are about that; it's very important to us.)

Got a good idea to add to MekWars? We'd love to hear about it. (from that page, go to "Tickets", then "Feature Requests")

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:15 pm 

I have zero problems with being punished for calling him a Douche. I was wrong to do that and apologize. At the time i thought he was breaking the rules. Regardless i was wrong to call him anything. Sorry Crucis!

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]