Make assault units more useful

Post here your ideas for the campaign settings

Moderator: Moderators

obese pigeon

Make assault units more useful

Post by obese pigeon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:10 pm

In the current meta, any assault mech or vee 85 tons and above is a 'trap', a useless sink of resources that you cannot easily get rid of. They take lots of cbills and occupy a huge amount of bayspace, yet can only be used by and against a subset of players.

I propose that assault units up to 100 tons be useable in basic operations like patrols. This will make these units possibly worth getting if you can find an opponent to use them on, and also avoid the awkward scenario where a new or returning player shells out 6k cbills for a Fatlas only to find he basically cant use it. It becomes a white elephant occupying bayspace.

Personal disclosure: It doesn't make too much of a difference to me personally if this suggestion is implemented or not. if not implemented, i will still continue playing the current meta by avoiding all such units. However, it just seems a waste that an entire class of units should be avoided like the plague.

obese pigeon

Re: Make assault units more useful

Post by obese pigeon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:31 pm

Alternatively, make it clear to new players they really shouldn't be buying these.

[20:19] gordielightfoot [LC]: new ish
[20:20] obese pigeon [CC]: i see. i saw you on the front but i dont exactly have time to play :)
[20:20] obese pigeon [CC]: but can talk
[20:20] obese pigeon [CC]: how have you found itso far?
[20:20] gordielightfoot [LC]: Its okay
[20:21] obese pigeon [CC]: ok cool. im trying to pick up a HBK from the BM
[20:21] obese pigeon [CC]: love those AC20s
[20:22] gordielightfoot [LC]: I want a King Crab :D
[20:22] obese pigeon [CC]: :)
[20:22] obese pigeon [CC]: btw dont pick up assault units, ie anything 85 tons and above
[20:23] obese pigeon [CC]: cos you wont be able to use them
[20:23] gordielightfoot [LC]: Why not?
[20:23] obese pigeon [CC]: well its pretty lame but you need to hit 1000 xp and frontline commander before you can use them
[20:23] obese pigeon [CC]: i've made a suggestion to get this changed
[20:24] obese pigeon [CC]: but im not holding my breath for the admins to approve it
[20:25] gordielightfoot [LC]: I have assault units on one of my active lances
[20:26] obese pigeon [CC]: what tonnage?
[20:26] obese pigeon [CC]: the assault unit
[20:26] gordielightfoot [LC]: 80
[20:26] obese pigeon [CC]: and is the lance legal for any operations?
[20:26] obese pigeon [CC]: 80 is fine
[20:26] obese pigeon [CC]: its 85 and above that you've got to worry about
[20:26] gordielightfoot [LC]: Why is that?
[20:27] obese pigeon [CC]: 85 tons and above you cant use it unless you have 1000 xp and frontline commander
[20:27] obese pigeon [CC]: 80 tons, no such restriction
[20:28] gordielightfoot [LC]: what do you mrsn frontline commander?
[20:28] obese pigeon [CC]: if you hover over your name
[20:28] obese pigeon [CC]: you see that you are regular commander
[20:29] obese pigeon [CC]: when you reach 1000 xp, you have the option to self promote to frontline commander. that unlocks more operations
[20:29] gordielightfoot [LC]: ahh
[20:29] gordielightfoot [LC]: so lots of games
[20:30] obese pigeon [CC]: but even if you dont self promote, and you've got 1000 xp and are regular commander, i think you can still play pillage games with your assault units
[20:30] obese pigeon [CC]: yes a fair number of games
[20:30] obese pigeon [CC]: about 20

Vector

Re: Make assault units more useful

Post by Vector » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:42 pm

I think before there was an exp requirement to buy assault units, but that got removed at some point. I'd be in favor of either allowing them for basic ops, or restricting their purchase by exp and not including them in initial hangars.