Use correct battlemech damage taken PSR rule

Post here your ideas for the campaign settings

Moderator: Moderators

obese pigeon

Use correct battlemech damage taken PSR rule

Post by obese pigeon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:59 am

We are currently using an incorrect implementation of the PSR rule when battlemechs roll to stay standing upon taking more than 20 points of damage.

The correct rules are:
1) PSR when damage taken exceeds 20. Higher amounts of damage over 20 do not increase the difficulty of the PSR (Core rule)
2) PSR difficulty increases by 1 for every additional 20 points of damage beyond 20. Light mechs have a +1 penalty, while heavy mechs have -1 bonus and assault mechs -2 bonus to stay standing (TacOps)

Right now it seems we are implementing the 1st half of the TacOps rule (the increased penalty as damage increases), without implementing the second half (bigger mechs have an easier time to stay standing).

Statement of Expectation:
In my opinion and expectation, we should be using one of the official rules, instead of a bastardized "house" rule. Between the two official rules, i favour the classic rule. The stability penalty for lights and bonus for heavies and assaults isn't 'factored' into BV and would make assaults and heavies stronger than they should be, and lights weaker than they should be.

Personal Impact:
While i think we should change to an official rule, and I would be slightly happier that way, I would still continue playing either way

I don't have any of the rulebooks, so if i've got the numbers or details slightly wrong, I apologize in advance.
Last edited by obese pigeon on Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ceorl

Re: Use correct battlemech stay standing after damage taken PSR rule

Post by Ceorl » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:40 am

This has been noticed and discussed in the past. If my faulty memory serves Bloodknight made a strong argument for the 1/2 implementation when are using stemming from balance issues. If this is a passionate issue for you would be worthwhile to drag up those old arguments.
Clans? I call you by your true names: Scum of the Star League, traitors of free will come back to lord over freedom-loving people. Come ahead, you steel-eyed robots! Come ahead and taste what a million like-minded people think of you and your damn Clans.

obese pigeon

Re: Use correct battlemech stay standing after damage taken PSR rule

Post by obese pigeon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 am

Ceorl wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:40 am
This has been noticed and discussed in the past. If my faulty memory serves Bloodknight made a strong argument for the 1/2 implementation when are using stemming from balance issues. If this is a passionate issue for you would be worthwhile to drag up those old arguments.
You are right. This was discussed in council about 2 or 3 cycles back. The council made the decision to go back to using the core battletech rule. I do not quite remember Bloodknight's reason for butchering the TacOps rule, but i don't think it was a strong argument. Maybe more like 'speed up high bv games' or some such.

All our discussions prior on this topic would be accessible to the mods/admins in the council forums. I'm sure its no trouble for them to look it up there, since I'm not super keen on rehashing old arguments.

But my main arguments against the bastardized half-rule are that:
1) It is a house rule and not an official rule. I'm not sure there is a strong enough basis to house-rule this aspect of the game when the official rules are not broken by any stretch
2) It makes high bv fights EVEN more RNG dependent than they already are. Who really wants to play a high bv game of who can make better PSRs wins?

Tuco
MegamekNET Campaign Operator

Re: Use correct battlemech damage taken PSR rule

Post by Tuco » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm

I think it originally was two different rules in Maximum Tech. And I think Bloodknight argued that the (frowned upon) expensive piloting levelups were made more worthwhile.
When the injustice is great enough, Justice will lend me the strength needed to correct it.
None may stand against it.
It will shatter every barrier, sunder any shield, tear through any enchantment and lend its servant the power to pass sentence.
Know this: there is nothing on all the Planes that can stay the hand of justice when it is brought against them.
It may unmake armies. It may sunder the thrones of gods.
Know that for ALL who betray Justice, I am their fate... and fate carries an Executioner's Axe.

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:05 am

Tuco wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:13 pm
I think it originally was two different rules in Maximum Tech. And I think Bloodknight argued that the (frowned upon) expensive piloting levelups were made more worthwhile.
Thanks for the context

obese pigeon

Post by obese pigeon » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:44 am

Just played a high bv game where i failed more than half of my PSRs and my opponent made every single one of his. Needless to say, it was a wipeout